• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Falconry

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
OK so I don't know how I missed this whole thread but I LOVE it! Loved the Harris hawk. I used to go hunting with my falconer friends and the Harris was my favorite. View attachment 398622 I am not a licensed falconer, but I did take care of a Golden Eagle when I was in college and I worked/ played with many falconers. Unfortunately, when I had time, I didn't have land/ place for a mew and now that I have land, I didn't have time. When they said the blood and guts can be intense, they were not kidding. IMO there is nothing that smells as bad as the inside of a rat. Nutria is not so sweet smelling either. That said, it is an amazing sport. One thing you might consider instead of falconry is looking into rehab. It is no less work, and the legal hoops you have to go through are equally daunting but sometimes it is easier than finding a falconer with the time and inclination to train an apprentice. The amount of access to land you need (through permission to hunt on property) is pretty large on average. The birds are stunning, awe inspiring but they are NOT tame.
Wowza! That's a fantastic picture what a gorgeous specimen :heart:

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
Wow! Ooh what fabulous pics! I can't get over how adorable they are as little fuzzy babies! Thank you so much for sharing,I really do appreciate it so much.
What an amazing life you get to live sharing it with these magical creatures :heart:
Wowza! That's a fantastic picture what a gorgeous specimen :heart:
She was truly an amazing creature! I learned so much from her. I cannot describe the feeling when I called her to the glove and that moment just before her talons close in on your arm, the thrill, the awe, the strength and momentary panic that perhaps she might overshoot and land on your face! Undescribable!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She was truly an amazing creature! I learned so much from her. I cannot describe the feeling when I called her to the glove and that moment just before her talons close in on your arm, the thrill, the awe, the strength and momentary panic that perhaps she might overshoot and land on your face! Undescribable!
It sounds like an absolute dream I've been fascinated with Raptors since I was 5 years old so a long time LOL and my love and thrill for them have never wavered.
My spirit animal is absolutely a Red Tailed Hawk every single time I see one gives me such an indescribable feeling of joy and awe.
We have a mated pair that lives in the tower next to my work so for 15 years I've been able to see a Red tail at least once every day almost and every time it's like the first. My co worker said to me the other day don't you ever get tired of seeing them since it happens all the time and I just couldn't even put into words how happy and content I feel every time I get even the slightest glimpse of one.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
It was an absolute dream to work with her. Ironically I first got the job in part because of all the applicants I was the only one to have any kind of bird experience and that was just an African Gray (my Walter). I too found my spirit with the birds, but mine I think is a peregrine falcon. They are absolutely amazing! I am so glad you get to watch the hawk family. We have a coopers hawk and a red shoulder who frequents our property. We used to have a barn owl but I haven't seen her in a year or two.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It was an absolute dream to work with her. Ironically I first got the job in part because of all the applicants I was the only one to have any kind of bird experience and that was just an African Gray (my Walter). I too found my spirit with the birds, but mine I think is a peregrine falcon. They are absolutely amazing! I am so glad you get to watch the hawk family. We have a coopers hawk and a red shoulder who frequents our property. We used to have a barn owl but I haven't seen her in a year or two.
Ooh I love peregrine falcons! The book series My side of the mountain really made me fall in love with them. Oh I'd love to see a Barn Owl in person they and Great Horned are favorites :heart: