• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Extremely brute and aggressive lovie

BTM

Checking out the neighborhood
Today is the first time my lovebird has ever made me cry, from both pain and despair. It's been some weeks since I last let them both out (they're two, but the other one's a saint) and today I just couldn't bear their looks and pleas, asking for time out of the cage, and I was hoping I could just hold my impulses and put up with the pain from his dreadful bites so he may stop doing it, but to no avail. Bites in the hands are fine, even tho he pierces skin, sheer will gets through it. But in the neck and ears, that's a different story. You could see my eyes wide open just trying to endure it, but then there's another bite, and another one, and I can't react because, if what he wants is attention, then he'd be getting what he wants and the behavior is reinforced.

I don't want to be offensive in the very least and I'm sorry if I am when I say that I'm a 23 years old man and just the pain from his bites got me to cry, and I'm a hard crier. Now I just don't know what to do with him but the worst is how bad I feel from not letting them out or even try training him out of "fear".

Also, both lovies are about 5 months old and were handfed by me, though he's always been more aggressive and brute. I don't try training him because (it's a little hard to picture) he somehow doesn't seem to pay any attention nor listen to what I do or say, unlike the other one, and I don't even know if it will be any useful.

I'm pretty desperate, I'm even considering giving him away to another family so I can give his mate the love he deserves without being afraid of this one, but the only thought makes me very sad. Other thing that spontaneously crosses my mind is probably the most controversial thing in the avian world: clipping his wings; which I would never think of but maybe having him more still would help a little.

I could really use examples of similar behaviors over anything else, because for most tips and such I find I can only think of using them on calmer birds like the other one. I'm sorry for this fuss, but I have to stop being a bad owner and I don't really know how. And, of course, thanks a lot in advance.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Hello, Welcome to the Avenue :)

Do you know if this bird is a male for sure? Or have you just assumed both are males?
Are these two a bonded pair? (actually bonded) or just friendly?

You could see my eyes wide open just trying to endure it, but then there's another bite, and another one,
You will hear this a lot, but the best way to stop bites, is firstly to stop allowing them to happen. If you get bit, remove your bird and put him down on the nearest bird safe surface. You don´t need to cage him, just put him somewhere else as quickly as possible. Try to know when your bird is about to bite by reading their body language and remove yourself from anysituations where you think you will be bitten.
Allowing a bite reinforces it as ok, which it is not.

As he is biting your neck and face, best to not allow him sitting on your shoulders until this behaviour settles down.

He´s only a youngster. He´s learning how to use his beak, testing to see where the boundaries are, learning who he is. So now is the time to nip it in the bud before it gets worse.

I asked about your other bird, if they are a bonded pair, you can use the more friendly, less nippy of the two to interact with the other. I have quite a fiesty hen, and I use her bonded partner when I want to bring her onto my hand or person to interact, she follows him, watches him, and will be more receptive to interaction with him by her side.

I don´t put my hands in some of our cages, I have two girls who will bite if I put my hand in, so I hold my hand outside of the cage for one and she will hop out onto my hand, and the other is the hen I mentioned before, I just leave her cage open to come out on her own.

Perhaps look at a play area outside of the cage for the birds to play on, have their own space with some toys and food.

I´m curious which species of lovebird your bird is?

I have to stop being a bad owner
You don´t seem like a bad owner to me. Try not to be too hard on yourself. :hug9:

@TikiMyn @fluffypoptarts

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I really don't have any advice on biting. I just wanted to welcome you to the Avenue and say you sound like a very good bird Dad, it's obvious how much you care about your birds. Don't give up.

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Is there anything going on in the room when you let them out? Do he just fly to you and immediately start biting you?

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Zara have some great advice! One of my lovebirds liked to bite when he was younger, although not nearly as severe as your bird. It helped a lot that whenever he was biting I would shove a toy between my skin and his beak. Eventually when he felt the need to bite he would scuffle over to a toy and bite that.
If he keeps flying to your shoulder, perhaps try wearing a thick scarf. He may not be able to bite your neck like that until he got the message that he is not allowed on your shoulder.

Jonathorus

Moving in
Real Name
Jonathon Daniel
@BTM
I know how you feel. I have a lovebird as well and she bites a lot and hard. I am trying to take it slow open the cage door and let her come out if she wants to. I also have considered giving her to another home, but I don't have the heart to do that. I love my bird. So don't give up, keep working with your bird. I believe in you and you can do it!

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I feel your pain my indie is like this she bites my hands sometimes over millet she’s really bite my lip too ears I don’t let her on my shoulder anymore make sure I have long sleeves on when I get them out as it’s bare skin she seems to bite and she bites hard almost holding on and ragging the skin like a dog no way I will do anything in her cage unless she put I can’t even change her water/food unless she’s out as she goes mad just biting
I tell her no biting and put her down or shake my hand if she won’t get off
I’ve found whistling or talking to het works well to keep her attention on me when she lands on my arm and when she’s not biting I give her millet and say good girl or I hold a wooden lolly stick which she loves to shed into pieces which seems to be working very well if she comes to me
I don’t let her step up although she won’t anyway if I want to move her I use a Wiliow stick

she as bruised my wrist hands left marks made me bled and at times I have thought about rehoming but I can’t I know she’s a little twat at times but I do love her I’ve just learnt that’s her and try to work around it

You are doing amazing don’t think u aren’t because it hurts when they bite and takes ur trust away just keep trying to find ways to work around it maybe do back to basic no hands just perch until he/she calms a little

Eliot!

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, I have a lovebird I found abandoned in a city park a year ago. I only have one, am thinning seriously of getting another. He has a flight cage full of toys, I finally got him to eat pellets. He has a splayed foot (not broken, he uses it fine.) He's extremely aggressive. I think he's male; no eggs. I've finally gotten comfortable letting him out of his cage. But he's now flying up to me and trying to bite me. Should I just not let him out? I am not good about getting bitten. Any thoughts gratefully appreciated!