• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expiration dates on parrot food. (mainly pellets)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I find that one of the most challenging things about purchasing parrot food online is not knowing the expiration date. Ideally, I prefer to have a bag of food where the expiration date is 5-6 months or more in advance. Recently I received a bag where the expiration date of the pellet would be in 3 months. I wasn't too pleased about this and moving forward will inquire about expiration dates before I place an order.
I'd rather pay full price and have a fresher product than a small discount and end up throwing some of the food in the garbage. I suppose for some of you with huge flocks this issue is no biggie, however for me with my small flock it is a concern for me, especially since pellets represent only a portion of their diet.
How important is expiration dates to you guys?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im not too worried about expirations dates. If its 3 months out (for my flock), it wouldnt bother me as my guys would eat it before it expires.

Its just like with people food, something may expire a month from now, but just because the date is approaching doesnt mean you need to worry. Just eat it up and it is good.

Right? Or maybe Im missing something?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I freeze all but 1 pound of whatever I am feeding to extend the life, so I also don't worry too much about it.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks guys. Maybe it's just one of my personal quirks.:)

yvette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Yvette
I sometimes freeze as well! Then I know they are ok, and Im always afraid of bugs or moths!! lol

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think you know my answer .. never have any type of parrot food around here until it expires .. my guys EAT LOTS!! :lol:

tozie12

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
beth
i dont worry bout expiration dates too much. i will freeze it if i have a whole bunch of something. but generally speaking using it a bit past the expiration date wont hurt anything. but then i'm the same with food for me, too. now there are some things i wont eat past the date: meat. but milk, eggs, butter, whatever else, generally speaking they tend to underestimate the number of days a product is good. so those dates are a worst case scenario.

now a weeks ago i came across some foods that i had tucked away and then forgot i tucked it away. so it was definitely no good. BUT the outside birds and squirrels didnt have a single issue with it. ;)

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
I refrigerate my foods after freezing for a few days... We have a moth problem that started with human food! I recently had a bag of Power Treats that I noticed had expired. I tasted them and they actually tasted good:p Many people think I'm wierd for that... But hey, whatever works! And I must add that the BH mix from MSBS is DELICIOUS!!!:D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The main thing you have to worry about is the degradation of vitamins; that's what the expiration date I imagine speaks to more than anything :)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
The longer the pellets sit around the less vitamin content they have. The more they are exposed to light and air is the same thing. I throw out anything nearing its expiration and buy new. We feed pellets for the vitamins.... otherwise whats the point.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
To light as in lightbulb light or sunlight?

Lovebird Lady

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvia
I buy Pretty Bird Gold pellets for my Brown Heads, and because this is not a regular product at Global Pet Foods, I always get them to order it from Freedom company when I am down to my last bag at home. So when I pick up my newly ordered bags of pellets (usually two at a time), the expiry date is a year in the future. With the smaller fids, they eat Hagen's Tropican pellets and with that pellet, because it is more common in most pet stores, I still try to buy the bag with the furthest expiry date in the future, which ends up being at least six months into the future. I tend to be pretty "anal" with expiry dates, and will shop at several stores until I find an expiry date that I'm satisfied with :D

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Whenever I get in a new bag of pellets, I freeze the bulk and keep only about 8oz as fresh in an air tight container.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I do worry about losing the nutritional value when it sits around and also not too keen on freezing, I will not feed past the expiration date.... I was really having issues with ordering online and getting edible items that were near expiration or even already expired.... so, I now only buy pellets from Winged Victory's :heart:

Pet Bird Supplies | Wingedvictorys Avian Online

The expiration is always many months away and always fresh ;)

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
To light as in lightbulb light or sunlight?
Any light damages the vitamin content. That's why food companies like harrisons packages their food in dark colored non see thru bags.

• Smell the product for freshness prior to feeding.
• Squeeze all air out of the bag and zip it shut at the top.
• If the zip lock gets removed or damaged, fold the top over several times and close with a clip.
• Keep food in original bag. The Harrison's bag has a foil barrier that blocks oxygen permeation. The outer kraft paper barrier blocks light that damages the vitamin content. Do not repackage food into plastic bags or Tupperware as the food will remain much fresher for a longer period in the Harrison’s bag.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• Feed fresh food daily. Do not "top off".

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]• Use contents within 4-6 weeks of opening bag.
• Purchase Harrison’s foods only in their original packaging.
• Refrigerating or freezing may help to maintain freshness.
• Harrison's products should not be used past the "USE BY" dating printed on every bag (regardless of how food is stored).
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I freeze all of mine and don't worry about the expiration date as I only take enough out for a few days a time.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
The longer the pellets sit around the less vitamin content they have. The more they are exposed to light and air is the same thing. I throw out anything nearing its expiration and buy new. We feed pellets for the vitamins.... otherwise whats the point.
Same here. If they are pretty close to expiry, I chuck them and replace them with new pellets.

Status
Not open for further replies.