• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expiration Dates on Food

Status
Not open for further replies.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I feel icky feeding anything that is going to expire within 6 months.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:confused: Really? Why's that?

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Really? But don't you feed a lot of organics? I'd be surprised if anything organic lasted as long as 6 months...

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
store the food in the freezer you add a few years to its shelf life date

but then again most food around here doesn't last to see the expiration date LOL its gone way way way before the date ever gets here

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
I buy small portions that way we don't get near the expiration date!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
i mean pellets and nutriberries. Not the organic stuff.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
i am talking with the vendor. i received a large shipment of bird food today and some expires next month and some in august. i was quite shocked. So i decided to find out from you all if my outrage is justified :lol:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
i mean pellets and nutriberries. Not the organic stuff.
Since all my birds are differently sized I buy small portions of pellets. I hate the idea of that stuff sitting around. I usually order once every two months? I don't think I'd keep that stuff that expires in a month.. I'd have a hard time using it in time!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Since all my birds are differently sized I buy small portions of pellets. I hate the idea of that stuff sitting around. I usually order once every two months? I don't think I'd keep that stuff that expires in a month.. I'd have a hard time using it in time!

I always used to make it a point to request a far far away expiration date but then started taking it for granted. So when i tried this new source i forgot to fuss about it :eek::p
i buy 1 lb bags so they stay fresh, if they come to me fresh that is, :)

Cydney

Real Name
Cydney
As long as the vendor is willing to replace the food and work with you, I wouldn't be too upset about it. Hopefully it was an honest mistake! :)

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna

I always used to make it a point to request a far far away expiration date but then started taking it for granted. So when i tried this new source i forgot to fuss about it :eek::p
i buy 1 lb bags so they stay fresh, if they come to me fresh that is, :)
Good thinking about asking for the far away expiration date... I hope the vendor can exchange it for you! It'd be a shame to have it waste!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
As long as the vendor is willing to replace the food and work with you, I wouldn't be too upset about it. Hopefully it was an honest mistake! :)
i hope so. no more emotional energy being wasted on it. Unfortunately i have to use one of the foods as i am all out. So i am not happy because my poor Jackson has to eat stale food tomorrow. I am ordering it directly tonight from Lafeber. Do you know up until now i ordered each thing from it's manufacturer directly and paid a ton in shipping? But it was always fresh!! I tried consolidating my purchases this time but it has not worked out well in this instance.

update:
:omg::omg::omg: i am soooo happy now i just ran and found i had ONE tub of it that i got directly from Lafeber still left!! Expires Feb 2011!!! :dance4::dance4::dance4:

Whew!!! What a relief!!:dance5::dance5::dance5:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
:dance4: Yay for the fresh food!!

I have to agree with you though-- on non-organics, I'd be very annoyed with such a soon expiry date. Not okay with me either.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna

update:
:omg::omg::omg: i am soooo happy now i just ran and found i had ONE tub of it that i got directly from Lafeber still left!! Expires Feb 2011!!! :dance4::dance4::dance4:

Whew!!! What a relief!!:dance5::dance5::dance5:
:dance4::dance4::dance4:

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
if it doesn't expire for another 6 months- that isn't "soon" that's half a year away, Put it in the freezer it'll last another year or 2

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I buy some food that is always expired by the time I get it. I don't seem to be able to get it any other way. It is Orlux foods, several types. It is from Belgium. I feed it to Mr. Jeepers and Jada. I break up the original package into freezer bags, keep it frozen, and keep one out in the refrigerator. I have not had one issue, in fact they both look amazing compared to when they arrived over a year ago.

Merlie

Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't know if this might be helpful or not ..

About 2 yrs. ago, I purchased a "Food Saver" machine .. also known as "Seal A Meal".

I originally purchased it for human foods that I bought in large quantities, but wanted to portion out and freeze.

I found that it works wonderfully with bird foods as well. I was always nervous about buying large bags of anything, because I felt that once the bag is open .. there really is no way to keep it fresh .. not even with Ziplocs/Tupperware .. etc.

The Food Saver creates a vacuum seal, I can tell there is a HUGE difference with foods simply stored with a Ziploc/tupperware and foods stored in a Food Saver sealed bag.

Now, any "bulk" foods I purchase for the birds gets portioned out, and vacuum sealed with the Food Saver. For example .. I buy a lot of freeze dried/dehydrated fruits/veggies. I did a test. I put a portion in a ziploc, a portion in tupperware, and a portion in vacuum sealed bags. After a week, all the but the vacuum sealed bag had gotten sticky and soft, while the vacuum sealed bag was still crisp and firm.

So now, I only have food in ziploc and tupperware that will be used within a week, everything else gets put in the Food Saver vacuum sealed bags.

Just throwing out an idea for those who want to buy in larger quantities, but are nervous about it staying fresh.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I never feed expired foods and if I am at a store I always try to pick the latest expiration. If I got for example a container of nutriberries that expired in two months, I would just make sure I would use it by then. If it was too much to use in that period of time, I would definitely want to exchange it.

Just for a comparison, people buy "day old bread" etc from bakeries and it is ok...perhaps not as fresh, but not harmful.

luvsgreys

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
We have a vacuum sealer as well and LOVE it!. :) Thanks for the idea of sealing bird food. lol. I haven't thought of sealing the pellets to keep them fresher longer. Having only one bird even the pound bags seems kind of large.
I agree though...that is awful soon for them to be expiring, I would request them to exchange them for food with more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.