• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Experts please help! It would be greatly aprreciated!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreece

Checking out the neighborhood
So, a few months ago, me and my boyfriend bought a love bird. Since he stayed at home, he had more interaction with Little Boy than I did because I was in school. Anyways, a few weeks ago, my boyfriend became my ex. Since he had a apartment, he was unable to take little boy.
I know that love birds grow strong bonds, which he had with my ex. He would get out of his cage to play and liked to hang out on my exs shoulder. With me, anytime I come near him, he puffs up and opens his mouth like his going to bite me. He has bitten me and drawn blood before. It seems like he may never like me.
My questions are:

Did he grow to strong of a bond to ever have a bond with me?
If it is possible for him to grow a bond with me, what are some tips and tricks?
Also, where I am still in school, should I get him another bird to be his friend?

His mean streak is making my family tell me to get rid of him, but he is my baby and I don't ever want that to happen. I'd like to prove to him what a good guy he can be with a little work!

Thank you for reading this and for any help you could give me!!!!

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Hello and welcome to AA!

I have 10 of these little darlings, but your post really isnt that lovebird specific, so I think I can help.

Firstly, its very likely that your lovebird will transfer his affections to you, now that your boyfriend is gone. Birds lose mates all the time in the wild, and will transfer their attention to a new partner. You just need to be friendly, be there with treats and goodies often, give the bird your time quietly chatting while you're going about your other tasks, and it will come round. And don't force it, be patient.

My view on the possible new partner, is its better to wait till you have established a better relationship with little boy before you introduce a new factor into the situation.

Suggested next steps
1) Make sure Little boy has some action going on around the cage while you're in school. Let him see humans often
2) Find out what his favourite treat is, and you give it to him regularly.
3) Talk and whistle and chat with him while you're doing your homework etc

There's lots of lovebird owners on this site who will have more suggestions.

Oh Yes, we love pix! Here's one of my new baby - Dobbie the house Elf!

nunu.jpg

JP

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Welcome to AA! You have received good advice from JP. Good luck:hug8:

Marc

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marco
I deem JP wrote all the main advices;
I like what JP wrote about how to earn the trust of Little Boy;
As for a new feathered mate, I have to admit that(in your shoes) I would look for a new bird as soon as I can to avoid that Little boy can elapse his time alone;

Last edited:

sweetpeaches

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Susan
Good advice from JP. I would just also add IMO that lovebirds take a little bit more time to "bond" with someone. I had a lovebird once. Got him when he was a baby and it took 9 mos. before I could actually handle and pet him. But ohhh how great that moment was :). I did teach him to step up right away tho and that he did. But the scritches came later.

Kreece

Checking out the neighborhood
Thank you guys so much! Im glad to find out it takes time. Well I'll be off to the store to find some treats and I'll be learning a few tunes :)

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Hello and :welcome: to the avenue.. :smileflower:

Status
Not open for further replies.