• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

experiences from owners with two toe-amputees?

Pie

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
so last year in october my cockatiel had broken her toe, completely severed any nerves in that toe which caused the need for the toe to be amputated.
now, i am suspicious another toe from that same foot has broken. worst part, from the same side, the backwards pointing toes.
does anyone have a bird who also has two toes from the same side of the foot amputated? how do they manage? this tiel is incredibly clunky when it comes to moving around, i think partly due to her age (at least 8+, who knows how old she truly is) so i worry removing another toe would severely inhibit her ability to grip and hold on to things.
i have yet to take her to the vet because im trying to evaluate is it truly broken or is the toe otherwise funky, as vet visits stress her so much and i think each visit increases her chance of getting a heart attack. the other toe i could tell something was wrong because it was the long toe and she kept stepping on it. i am planning to take her to the veterinarian soon, but i would like to hear some experiences.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
There are two greys on instagram I follow who literally have no toes at all (I think bitten off by parent birds) and they manage quite well with a few little considerations made for their differences.

My cocky has limited movement and strength in his feet, his first day in a new proper cage had me nearly in tears for him as the bars were proper cage bars not the nice little squares of aviary wire , 3 weeks later and he is zooming about and I think he’s worked out enough that I can trim his nails back a bit now - he uses the nails as a security which my healthy footed birds don’t need do I do let them get a fair bit longer on him.

You will together work out what your bird needs to keep it healthy and independent… they’re pretty resourceful and resilient

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Howard has missing toes and some that are half gone and deformed. We make accommodations in his house to make it easier for him. They adjust better than we think.

Reactions: Pie