• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Expecting power outages this winter

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
So this year we are expecting power outages, and where I am it can get VERY cold. I know that anything burning is toxic to birds, so they can't be around candles (which is what we have). My mom wants to install a real fireplace, I can't really stop her because she wants to do that to keep our family warm in emergency situations. What do I do to keep my birds warm, especially since they have to be separated from the place we would be keeping us warm? This situation has extremely made me not want to get another bird, i don't think I will.

The_Mayor

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martha
Instead of a fireplace is a generator an option? They make me nervous, but, installed and used properly, they can be a lifesaver.

Alternately, if the power outages are expected to not be of too long duration, I think some of the larger power stations might be able to run a space heater for most of the night.

If neither of those sounds realistic, do you have a friend who'd be willing to take your birds in for the winter? I had a few nervous days last week when the temperatures dropped before my building switched over from AC to heat. I'm not sure I could get through the winter with that as a constant worry.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
When you say, "install a real fireplace", do you mean a natural gas or propane unit? In those cases, the combustion chamber is sealed and vented outside, so the combusion gasses pose no risk -- and modern units have safe-touch glass so there's no burn risk. This option is fine.

It's extremely unlikely you're talking about a wood-burning fireplace with chimney (unless you already have that, because otherwise that's a huge renovation) -- risk is smoke and burn injuries.

You could also be talking about a wood-burning stove, which could be realistically retrofit -- these units gave risks around smoke escaping into the indoor space, and burn injuries.

Lastly, I'm on a mission to crush the notion that candles are a legitimate emergency heat source (they're not, their BTU output is way too low). On top of that, they're a fire hazard from tipping over, and unsafe for use around birds. Just stop. Everyone.

So, what to use? I think your birds are in a single small-ish cage (if I'm remembering correctly). I'd suggest a hot water bottle filled with hot water from your standard water heater (which is insulated and will stay hot for a long time after the power goes out). Place it in the base of their cage. Also, a small inside room will retain heat for longer than a large exterior room with windows, so you could temporarily relocate them to a walk-in closet for the duration of the outage.

How long are the outages you're expecting. Suitable responses will vary depending on that detail.

I suppose the last thing is to remember that normal healthy birds aren't going to drop dead if the temps drop into a range that isn't exactly comfortable (uncomfortable for you doesn't equal unsafe for them... or you).

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
For emergencies (and regular winter night use) I have one of the smallest sweeter heaters for each cage, and cage covers. They are 32 watts each. Then I have several large lithium ion storage batteries to plug them into, with solar panels to recharge if needed. not a great solution if it goes many days, but safe and easiest for me for shorter periods.
That's first line. Side Mount Model | sweeterheater
Then I have a gas generator but I'd need to find a neighbor to start it for me due to shoulder injuries, very long heavy extension cords, and oil-filled radiators for heating rooms.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Instead of a fireplace is a generator an option? They make me nervous, but, installed and used properly, they can be a lifesaver.

Alternately, if the power outages are expected to not be of too long duration, I think some of the larger power stations might be able to run a space heater for most of the night.

If neither of those sounds realistic, do you have a friend who'd be willing to take your birds in for the winter? I had a few nervous days last week when the temperatures dropped before my building switched over from AC to heat. I'm not sure I could get through the winter with that as a constant worry.
I don't know anyone who could take my birds for a day or two, one of my friends has a ton of cats and dogs, my two other neighbors moved and my other neighbor is very elderly and I don't need to put that stress on him. I think the power outages are called rolling blackouts? I'm not completely sure.
When you say, "install a real fireplace", do you mean a natural gas or propane unit? In those cases, the combustion chamber is sealed and vented outside, so the combusion gasses pose no risk -- and modern units have safe-touch glass so there's no burn risk. This option is fine.

It's extremely unlikely you're talking about a wood-burning fireplace with chimney (unless you already have that, because otherwise that's a huge renovation) -- risk is smoke and burn injuries.

You could also be talking about a wood-burning stove, which could be realistically retrofit -- these units gave risks around smoke escaping into the indoor space, and burn injuries.

Lastly, I'm on a mission to crush the notion that candles are a legitimate emergency heat source (they're not, their BTU output is way too low). On top of that, they're a fire hazard from tipping over, and unsafe for use around birds. Just stop. Everyone.

So, what to use? I think your birds are in a single small-ish cage (if I'm remembering correctly). I'd suggest a hot water bottle filled with hot water from your standard water heater (which is insulated and will stay hot for a long time after the power goes out). Place it in the base of their cage. Also, a small inside room will retain heat for longer than a large exterior room with windows, so you could temporarily relocate them to a walk-in closet for the duration of the outage.

How long are the outages you're expecting. Suitable responses will vary depending on that detail.

I suppose the last thing is to remember that normal healthy birds aren't going to drop dead if the temps drop into a range that isn't exactly comfortable (uncomfortable for you doesn't equal unsafe for them... or you).
Yes, it actually is a real fireplace with wood, because we have a extra fireplace in our basement and my mom wants something in case we have no way to get heat from somewhere else. (If it's a huge revonation, then I probably won't be here by the time that's done considering how long it will be to even decide to get it started and finished) so thank you for that piece of information. My mom had this thing that heats up using candles, so yeah, we will be using candles if it comes to it. BUT, you helped me come up with a pretty sturdy plan. My room is pretty separated from the house, since my heavy big door is always closed and it feels pretty different, even by the temperature. I have a small closet, and I will just modify it to keep my birds in there in case of an emergency and see if I can find a safe heat source I can afford or find. I'll make my closet as comfy and warm as possible. Thank you so much! I have such a better plan now, it may not be the best, but it is much better than just not nowing what to do.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shannan
I know this my sound kind of silly and I don't know how many birds you have or if they get along but I once had an outage due to a winter storm for two days. (it was in the Deep South of America so I know you Northerner are laughing at how "cold" it really wasn't) but anyway, I piled us all up in a single room covered all the windows with blankets and my TAG spent most of the day cuddled up with me so perhaps if you can work on the snuggling behaviors (ie training them to tolerate being wrapped in a blanket or sit on your chest where your body heat can keep them warm (because who else wants an excuse to spend the day cuddled up with your bird). I know this won't work for a lot of birds but it might help. Also I did cover his cage in a heavy quilt to hold in the heat. I rotated the quilt he on his cage and actually warmed it by having my very big dog sit on it and when it was warm, I traded it out for the other blanket. The dog was warmer, the bird was warmer and we made it through. The house only got down to the 50's and his cage was warmer. I also wonder about those hand warmers. You wouldn't want it where the bird could get to it but maybe under the cage might warm it up a bit.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I know this my sound kind of silly and I don't know how many birds you have or if they get along but I once had an outage due to a winter storm for two days. (it was in the Deep South of America so I know you Northerner are laughing at how "cold" it really wasn't) but anyway, I piled us all up in a single room covered all the windows with blankets and my TAG spent most of the day cuddled up with me so perhaps if you can work on the snuggling behaviors (ie training them to tolerate being wrapped in a blanket or sit on your chest where your body heat can keep them warm (because who else wants an excuse to spend the day cuddled up with your bird). I know this won't work for a lot of birds but it might help. Also I did cover his cage in a heavy quilt to hold in the heat. I rotated the quilt he on his cage and actually warmed it by having my very big dog sit on it and when it was warm, I traded it out for the other blanket. The dog was warmer, the bird was warmer and we made it through. The house only got down to the 50's and his cage was warmer. I also wonder about those hand warmers. You wouldn't want it where the bird could get to it but maybe under the cage might warm it up a bit.
I like that quilt idea, I do have a big warm dog so that could help. I have two lil' budgies so i can't really cuddle them, but man I wish I could.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
What is the coldest it usually gets where you are in winter?

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
What is the coldest it usually gets where you are in winter?
Definitely under 30, sometimes it gets -20, but not too much

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m a little confused by your answer… can you clarify if the cold temps are under 30C? Or, approximately minus 20C?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I am not sure, so someone please correct me …

what about a propane lantern that would be used for camping. The ones with the sock in it, they throw an enormous amount of heat and maybe put in away from the end where the birds are, due to the glare or behind a piece of plywood to cut down the glare. We have used that in a tent trailer while camping for a couple of hours while playing cards and it warms up real good. Just run it when you really need it. Then snuggle down with blankets…

NightOwls

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I believe I've heard that pellet stoves are bird safe.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I’m a little confused by your answer… can you clarify if the cold temps are under 30C? Or, approximately minus 20C?
It is in F°, sorry

Last edited: