• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Exotic Cockroaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Someone in my welcome thread asked about my hobby of breeding exotic cockroach species, so here are my current breeding projects. I'd really like to one day breed a large # of ornamental roach species, but right now space doesn't allow for much more than this.

H. subcincta. JUST got a starter colony from Steve, hoping it goes well!

T. petiveriana. This colony was very slow taking off (their growth rate is painfully slow), but I have a fresh crop of adults and a TON of nymphs now.

T. olegrandjeani. This colony has been very successful so far, lots of babies and several adults (including a number of females!). Good progress from the starter stock.

P. nivea. The adult foundation stock has died out, but I have sub crawling in nymphs and subadults so I'm not too worried ;)

B. giganteus. These guys have EXPLODED in population since I moved them to the new set-up. The naturalistic one was nice but I kept getting mold.

G. portentosa. I have... lots. However, they're lovely colors, as you can see from these two very different specimens. If anyone ever wants hissers let me know, I'm crawling with juvies and nymphs right now.

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
Those are some crazy looking Cockroaches.... I could never probably come to your house as I'm a *bit* scared of them though... hehe. Thanks for sharing your photos. I wouldn't imagine that some of those bugs were even cockroaches since they don't look like them!

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
^^ I'm with Tamara, i wouldn't be able to stay near them, but they are pretty interesting. I didn't know there were so many types of them!

hsmoscout

Exotic cockroach breeder...that's one job I've never heard of! Very cool, though!

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm afraid to ask this but how big do the ones you are breeding grow to? :eek:

Gilraen

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Danae
I don't think I ever commented at UB, but I love the olegrandjeanis and the petiverianas. They're so neat looking :)

Jadie

Real Name
Jade
woah! These are awesome! I've always wanted hissing cockroaches, I would be thrown out the house though unfortunately lol!
How did this hobby come to be? If you don't mind me asking?:D

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
:eek::eek::eek: Agh!!

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I just had to take a peak.

Who buys these critters? Museums? Zoos??

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
I never knew there were so many different types or cockroaches. I just cannot get over the fact that they're roaches, you know? LOL

RandomWiktor

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ren
Haha, thanks (mostly) for the comments! Cockroaches are very diverse; there are over 4,000 species; only four are common household pests and only 25 are even regularly found in association with humans. Mostly they are physiologically and behaviorally fascinating creatures! These are only my "fancy" species I should mention; I breed two feeder species for my reptiles and amphibians as well.

Birdiemarie, the biggest species I breed gets to about 3.5" in length.

Jadie, I started keeping hissers when I was in grade school after my teacher gave me two of the "class pet" colony as a present. The love just grew from there!

Kristy, I don't sell much yet as I really want to build up my colonies, but I mostly sell to private individuals. Cockroach keeping is pretty popular, and fancy varieties can get quite lucrative.

Kirby26

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Natalie
Definitely interesting to look at, but I'm not sure I would ever be able to handle them :hehe:

I didn't even know there was such a large variety of cockroaches before this though!

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine

Ranyart

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pennie
That's absolutey fascinating and gosh who knew they're kinda beautiful in their own buggy way. How long have you been into them? Too cool. I'm amazed at all the different 'other species' kept here on the Avenue.

Sarin

Real Name
Nicole
They look great! Very nice collection you have got there. Please keep us updated on their progress. I love seeing/hearing about things like this. :D

Mommyofgus

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina
Ok, so I had to look too. I wasn't going to but was drawn to it. lol They are different and in a way you have to admire their creator for making so many different kinds. Sorry but they still give me chills. lol I am glad you are so interested in them. I will just admire your pictures....from a distance.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Cockroaches...honestly I commend you on your interests, and there are some very beautiful bugs you have pictures of! But I myself am not a bug person...we have a little colony of cockroaches that we keep too, but they are strictly for feeding purposes. Our tokays got too big to be satisfied with crickets (we were feeding 15-20 a day, the male has a ridiculous appetite) plus the cockroaches have more nutrients when we gutload them. But I don't touch them or go near them! That's all Paul! :scared2:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
wow, I would be kinda scared of those, LOL!
They are interesting, but I have never liked cockroaches, hehe!

Status
Not open for further replies.