• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Exo terra 60cm by 45cm by 60cm

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Do any of these species need UVA/B as my current epidobates tricolour do not (I have an led light and a heat pad.
Technically no dart frogs need UVB or even heat unless you live in an area where it gets under 20 or so degrees. I personally provide it since I still believe it has benefits. I would definitely have an LED light for the plants and it looks better.

I use the arcadia shadedweller which is 6% UVB which is the highest amount of UVB that I would give darts. I recommend the arcadia jungle dawn for LED lights and honestly anything else from arcadia which I believe is quite common in England. If you provide UVB make sure there are lots of hiding spaces or bushy plants to maintain cover for the frogs should they want to get away from the light. If you don't get a UVB light make sure your supplement for your fruit flies has vit D3.

Dart frog care is essentially the same no matter the species so it isn't too far off from your E tricolour. since you have an exoterra I also recommend putting seran wrap over some of the mesh lid to help with humidity

Reactions: Ali

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Thank you. Good idea on the humidity! Do you have an automatic misting system in any of your dart terrariums, and if so, which one/s would you recommend?

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
So I found someone who is downsizing a number of planted terrariums with dart frogs. He said:
Frog breeding pair $100.
Juvies are $30
The planted tank 12x12x24 is $100 with light and nozzle

He also said I will need flies and a misting thingie. Does this sound good? I thought it did. He's about 60 miles away.

A single dart frog at the local pet store is $50. I know price isn't the only thing, what are the pitfalls of buying a ready-made setup?

Check out serpadesign on youtube
O thanks malibu, now I am totally addicted to his channel!

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
So I found someone who is downsizing a number of planted terrariums with dart frogs. He said:
Frog breeding pair $100.
Juvies are $30

He also said I will need flies and a misting thingie. Does this sound good? I thought it did. He's about 60 miles away.

A single dart frog at the local pet store is $50. I know price isn't the only thing, what are the pitfalls of buying a ready-made setup?

haha glad you like it. Also check out joshs frogs and mike tytula on youtube they have good stuff too. You can message me anytime on how to breed fruitflies and going to a local petstore and finding a pressure mister will help.

As for the frogs do you know what species they are? different species have different pricings but the tank sounds like a good deal

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Thank you. Good idea on the humidity! Do you have an automatic misting system in any of your dart terrariums, and if so, which one/s would you recommend?
personally I don't use misting systems since I don't have enough tanks where i feel I need to invest but from all my friends they all use mist kings. They are def on the pricy side but worth it 100% since you can connect up to 10 nozzles and you can choose how big the water reserve is.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
personally I don't use misting systems since I don't have enough tanks where i feel I need to invest but from all my friends they all use mist kings. They are def on the pricy side but worth it 100% since you can connect up to 10 nozzles and you can choose how big the water reserve is.
Yeah we just lost sizable income, so with $100 here and $100 there and the mist king.... it's all adding up to "a lot right now."

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Frog breeding pair $100.
Juvies are $30

sorry i just say the last bit about the pet store frogs. Depending on the store I would stick to breeders imo. I don't know what store it is but from what Ive seen from american friends is that places like petco have very poor conditions for dart frogs and they often dont know localities.

In the dart frog community lineage/localities and keeping them pure is very important which is why you shouldn't cohab different species ie a D tinctorius oyapock and a D tinctorius la fumee.

In the wild dart frog populations the gene pool is small so its important for keepers to prevent hybridizing the captive populations

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Yeah we just lost sizable income, so with $100 here and $100 there and the mist king.... it's all adding up to "a lot right now."
a mist king is honestly not needed if you just have one tank. a hand mister does fine.
trust me you are probably looking at maybe 200 if you take up the breeder on his offer including the flies which cost me about 15 or so a month since you have to breed them

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I've never bought frogs from them, but Josh's Frogs has a ton of products. I buy stuff for Fuzzgig from them, and I got my millipedes from them as well. They have just about everything you would need (including feeders).

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Frog breeding pair $100.
Juvies are $30
I would say that is quite a good deal (on the tank at least)

I agree with @malibu about the breeder though. My group of four epidobates tricolour cost me £80 total. The most expensive part is the delivery! That tank size is pretty good as well, that's the size mine are in.

Ali

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
How about encouraging breeding? I would love to breed my current frogs as the species, despite being very populous and mostly captive bred in captivity, is threatened. Is there any particular way of encouraging breeding behaviour or should I just wait and see? Their setup is also bio active. I should probably mention that we are not sure on genders but suspect at least one ,just be a male (none of them have found their voice yet, which is why we are not sure).

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
For me, the drawback of buying a ready made setup is that I don't get to make it, which is really fun to do. Making your own little pocket of rainforest!

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
It sorta depends on how old they are. E tricolour are pretty easy breeders though as far as I know.

overall I dont breed so I cant quite tell you the ins and outs of it. However I would make sure you have a bromeliad or two since thats what they tend to breed in or a coconut hut with a petri dish. I would also increase misting and day light to stimulate the rainy season. But apart from that I would look at some forums.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Josh's Frogs also has a whole blog on their site, with tons of info. And they have actual people working, so you can give them a call if you have questions. Very nice folks, super helpful.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I should also mention that multiple females can often eat the other female frogs eggs. I believe you generally want 1.1
(left is male and right is female)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
For me, the drawback of buying a ready made setup is that I don't get to make it, which is really fun to do. Making your own little pocket of rainforest!
Me too! I was actually going to just do a terrarium.... and hey if it happened to be habitat-like and a couple frogs sneaked in...? *shrug*

So I was prowling around for some cool containers and that's when I ran across this guy's ad.

I wish hubby hadn't thrown away these glass containers I had from my grandma's barn. They were super old,cool shapes - I used 3 for betta tanks. When we moved down here he tossed them all.

@taxidermynerd thank you, I glanced at Josh's frogs yesterday but then got this lecture that I was looking at frogs instead of working. Which was true.:laughing6:

• Haha

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I know I said dart frogs, but I really like these (European green tree frogs) and I am quite fond of the price! I have done a bit of research and think that they would work. Any thoughts? I think a pair would be ideal. Also, could I use a smaller terrarium for them, maybe this...? Exo Terra Paludarium Mini X-Tall 30 x 30 x 60cm PT2595 | Southern Aquatics

I read on Josh's frogs that a terrarium slightly smaller is good size for 2 to 4 of them as they are a small species.
Screenshot_20200514-134938_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ali

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Side note- I wouldn't make the water as deep as apparently they don't swim very well, so it could be a health risk if it was too deep.

It also said that they benefit from UV. Is this true? Being a European species (although not native to the UK) it says they don't need any extra heat. I'm assuming this is correct? This is a new area for me (tree frogs not amphibians) so just want to check!

Last edited:

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
Personally I think that low levels of UV should be provided anyways but thats just my opinion. I would use 7% or below and make sure you have lots of shady plants or cork so they aren't constantly in the light. Technically most frogs don't need extra heating unless your tank is constantly below 18 degrees or so. probably about 9/10 times a frog just requires room temp and if it was too cold I just use a space heater rather than a bulb.

If you really want a water feature you can probably just make a 'beach' by sloping it and having like an inch and a half of water with branchs or rocks so they can get out easier.