• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Excessively Randy love bird

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Hi all

me again (sorry!)

I just have a question regarding implants for excessively horny birds.

my two went for their check up and everything was perfect, however I mentioned to the vet about sonic rubbing on EVERYTHING (including my boyfriends leg) she told me that during hormonal seasons their cholesterol is higher and if it continues longer than normal, he risks heart disease.

im not exaggerating- he does this 3 to 5 times a day. They free roam from 10-1900 on weekends and this weekend he has just been a little horror! I can't even get near him without the anger and in order to put him to bed I must use the seed bell or millet which he will step up on.
It seems like anything sets it off and I see
Him eyeing up the toys from the inside of his cage (they have two, one in use and an extra one with toys and toys scattered around the room) I'll see if I can find a photo.. so it's not like there isn't anything else to do!??! - last two photos are the cages

I have decreased light hours, changed the cage around, got even more foraging toys.. but he's always on

So I went home and tried to do some research because actually it's a massive decision and I don't want to make the choice misinformed.

has anyone been through similar, will he eventually grow out of it? Do I take the rubbing toys away?
I don't want to frustrate him further :(

Pics for tax

Attachments

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
Maybe lessen his caloric intake ? And what day light hours do you have him on?

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
Currently they are on 7pm bedtime and wake at 9am.
They are already on a reduced seed diet and have tops organic pellets and enjoy their kale, broccoli, chillis, peppers. Etc.. they don't like wet or mushy food.

I can remove more seed but because he feeds his mate I worry he's going to lose weight

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Do not take the toys away! Masturbating is releasing his sexual frustrations, he will either just find more things to rub on or come out with other unwanted behavior.

@Zara might be able to offer you some advice when she is back online.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I think @TikiMyn will be able to offer the best advice as she has had first hand experience with exactly this with her boys. Sounds like it´s quite a difficult thing to get a handle on, but hopefully she has some suggestions of things you may not have tried.

rubbing on EVERYTHING (including my boyfriends leg)
Be sure your boyfriend is removing Sonic when this is happening, or before it if he notices the sign indicating it is about to happen (maybe when he hears the clicks or sees foot scratching). Put Sonic down in a safe place, maybe a play area with toys he can mate with.

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
the issue here is the aggression. A bite from a love bird is no joke!
So instead I need to use the seed bell to get him to step up but then this is rewarding that behavior.
But yes, moving him to the current favorite toy I will start doing as soon as possible

I won't remove any toys but will the constant rubbing cause him any harm?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
But yes, moving him to the current favorite toy I will start doing as soon as possible
He doesn´t have to move him to a fave toy, just get Sonic off of him as quickly as possible and put him on the nearest bird safe area.

I won't remove any toys but will the constant rubbing cause him any harm?
My eldest, Sydney, was in a commited relationship with his boing for many years. He´s only recently stopped mating with it (because he got a girlfriend the other year). My youngest, Gisli, mates that blue kong of his every day. He used to have soft toys, but keeping them clean was difficult, and mating dirty toys could be a problem.

Kirstylou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kirsty
He doesn´t have to move him to a fave toy, just get Sonic off of him as quickly as possible and put him on the nearest bird safe area.
Sonic will need to go to his fav toy otherwise he won't get go of whatever you're transferring him with (he is a diva!)

I will just allow him to do his stuff and increase the deep cleans. As long as he will be okay, and won't be harmed, I'm happy. I'm only paranoid as the vet said it can cause heart disease

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I don't know whether constant hormonal activity causes heart issues or not. I've had three GW macaws over a period of 25 years and only one was moderately horny. There are several physiological changes during mating season and I'm just not familiar with them. With him it was just a matter of moving him some where else or taking his favorite masturbation object away to reduce the activity.