• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Excessive Drinking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morghen

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I'm not sure if this is an emergency, but my dusky conure, Maghee, has been excessively drinking water the last few weeks. A result of this is obviously that her poops are extremely watery. It's been very hot at my house lately so I don't know if that's what's causing it, but I just wanted to double check. She doesn't seem sick and she's been eating normally. Any ideas on why she's doing this?

:confused:

parrotluv

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hi, I had a timney who was drinking lots and her poops were extremely watery. Then she started to loose weight and slowing was not eating much. By the time I took her to the vet she suspected PDD but tested negative. She ended up having kidney failure and she passed away about 6 weeks later. Please don't wait any longer, she should be seen by a vet,, this is not a good sign.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Excessive drinking could be the first signs of an underlying medical issue like diabetes or liver/renal disease or she could just be dehydrated.

If it's been going on for a few weeks, I would be taking her to the vet now. It's been long enough.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Oh, thanks so much! I'll make an appointment first thing tomorrow since the vet is already closed! :eek: So should I ask for her kidneys to be checked? If it is her kidneys, is there anything they can do for her? :(

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Sounds like kidney problems. If it is, what I have found to help Bokka my 17y.o who has kidney problems, is feeding more wet foods. I feed him a serving of wet pellets nightly too. His poops are more formed and whole and not a squirt of water. I definitely recommend seeing a vet. Kidney problems are absolutely serious. I'm also thinking perhaps the heat could be a big trigger of kidney problems. Extreme heat can cause organ problems, kidneys first to go. So if possible try to regulate the temps if possible.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I'll try feeding her more wet foods, thanks! Yes, I definitely want to make her a vet appointment just to make sure; I feel terrible for waiting this long. I thought it might've just been because it's so hot out. I'll try and cool it down in the bird room as much as I can(my family doesn't have AC, but I'll do what I can.) Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I hope everything is ok!!! Let us know what the vet says.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
I took her in today and after the vet did some blood work, found out that she has diabetes. I got some medicine for her(I can't remember the name) and made an appointment for Tuesday as a followup. I'll have to do some changes to her diet, too, it looks like. Hopefully she'll be feeling better soon, though. :)

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Morghen, I'm sorry to hear Maghee has diabetes but so glad you took her in to be checked and can now do what's needed to help her. :hug8:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Prayers that the meds help your baby to feel better and live a long loved life. Also if you feel she needs to be cooler you can freeze water in a soda bottle and then stick it in the bottom of her cage.

Ginger

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
:hug8: MAGHEE :hug8: Glad you got her checked out & can now improve her diet to keep her healthy for a long time.

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
Thanks everyone for your kind words!
:hug8:

kcbee

Animal Lover
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kacy
I'm so sorry she has diabetes, but I'm so glad you took her in and caught this early. With the medicine and diet changes, she'll be feeling better in no time! :hug8:

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
So good you took her in quickly and found out she has diabetes so she can be treated appropriately. Little Magee can now feel better with her appropriate medications, skirches little Magee. :heart:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
So glad that You got Her seen right away:hug8:With a diet change,she should be just fine:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.