• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Escaped Parrots Now Established in 23 US States

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
@expressmailtome Thank you for the additional article. My vet told me about certain pet stores wanting to start the sale of lovebirds but was not able to go forward due to most of the birds testing positive for PFBD. I keep my fids in doors because I don't know what is out there for them to catch.

Bibi2017

Checking out the neighborhood
Another interesting read.

Here on the southern coast of Spain we have a lot of monk parakeets. They frequently fly down my street :)

I found this rather interesting:
¨Studying the natural history of established parrots in the USA could provide important insights into fundamental aspects of their ecology and conservation. Further, some of these naturalized species, such as the red-crowned Amazon parrot, are endangered in their native ranges. But this parrot’s population is increasing in the United States -- so much so that there now are more red-crowned Amazon parrots living freely in US cities than in its native range in northeastern Mexico (more here). This raises the possibility that established populations of endangered parrots may be used as source populations to bolster future conservation efforts (more here).¨
Zara, Spain should not be culling (slaughtering) the Monk parakeets. There are absolutely no scientific reports or studies that show this species to be out competing with other birds, for nesting or competition, in Spain or in Europe or anywhere else in the world for that matter. Monk parakeets do not nest in tree hollows, they make their own nests out of twigs. In fact, many other birds take advantage of the monk parakeets multi-chambered nests right alongside with the parrots. Saying that these birds are aggressive with other birds in the wild is completely false information and apart from that, actual scientific literature and a multitude of photographs and videos dictates quite the opposite.
(PDF) Occupation of Monk Parakeet (Myiopsitta monachus) nest cavities by introduced House Sparrows (Passer domesticus) in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

Assessing the ecological and societal impacts of alien parrots in Europe using a transparent and inclusive evidence-mapping scheme

Vista de Nidificación del Gorrión moruno (Passer hispaniolensis) en nidos de Cotorra gris (Myiopsitta monachus) en Tenerife (Islas Canarias)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Zara, Spain should not be culling (slaughtering) the Monk parakeets. There are absolutely no scientific reports or studies that show this species to be out competing with other birds, for nesting or competition, in Spain or in Europe or anywhere else in the world for that matter. Monk parakeets do not nest in tree hollows, they make their own nests out of twigs. In fact, many other birds take advantage of the monk parakeets multi-chambered nests right alongside with the parrots. Saying that these birds are aggressive with other birds in the wild is completely false information and apart from that, actual scientific literature and a multitude of photographs and videos dictates quite the opposite.
(PDF) Occupation of Monk Parakeet (Myiopsitta monachus) nest cavities by introduced House Sparrows (Passer domesticus) in Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil

Assessing the ecological and societal impacts of alien parrots in Europe using a transparent and inclusive evidence-mapping scheme

Vista de Nidificación del Gorrión moruno (Passer hispaniolensis) en nidos de Cotorra gris (Myiopsitta monachus) en Tenerife (Islas Canarias)
Amigo mío, no soy del gobierno ni el ayuntamiento. I sign all petitions to stop the plans for culling, every single one I see, even those of other cities. I regularly post on facebook that if anyone finds chicks unattended (parents possibly killed) to let me know so I can go help (I am experienced at handfeeding) without handing them over to ¨sanctuaries¨(who are under instruction to kill them). I recently tried my best to help an injured cotorra and paid a whopper of a medical bill at the hospital.
I do all I can within my power.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@Bibi2017 If you see any petitions against the new plans agreed last friday for a cull on the costa del sol using air rifles, please do send them my way to sign.
It halted the plans in Sevilla. Hopefully the same happens here.

Sandra Gibson

Walking the driveway
We have hundred's of wild Quaker Colonies here in Miami, Also a few wild colonies of Blue and Gold Macaws near and on Campus of the University of Miami. They have defected from The Parrot Jungle years ago and nest in the trunks of the Palm Trees.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Wow, I never knew there were wild Macs in Miami!

Bibi2017

Checking out the neighborhood
@Bibi2017 If you see any petitions against the new plans agreed last friday for a cull on the costa del sol using air rifles, please do send them my way to sign.
It halted the plans in Sevilla. Hopefully the same happens here.
Here is my own that I started on August 30th for the parrots that have already started to be captured in cages to be killed by co2 gas. While it is true that Seville is not shooting them, they re trapping and killing them anyway. It is a real tragedy!!! Sign the Petition