• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Escape Artist

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I have a cockatoo escape artist....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Me too....
Mine helps Amazons to escape too...
Elvis doesn't like the cockatiels enough to help them escape. LOL. He has figured out 3 different ways to get out of his cage. Milton also escaped once, much to my surprise.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Yep

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have multiple escape artists although the most skilled one is Keno.
However, yesterday I was sitting at the dining room table and looked into the living room only to see Jaden on the top of his cage.
One of the food doors was opened and I know that when I checked the doors they were all closed. One of the dogs was walking around
the living room and that concerned me but that dog does not usually bother the birds. When I tried to get Jaden he flew and hit the blinds (luckily the blinds were closed and he didn't hit the sliding glass door) and
then flew and landed on the top of the sofa. I was able to quickly get him to step up and put him in his cage. This is not the first time he has escaped.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Yeah, one year I came home to Sweden (Goffin) out of cage. Found her on my bed with my German Shepherd Dog sleeping beside it.
Thankfully he was a very good dog!
She's given me a grey hair or two.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep. I have 2 that managed to escape.

JaKhu's (B&G Macaw) cage has two door latches. They both have to be lifted all the way up & then slide over or the door won't open. She figured it out by watching me open her door & would get out. We locked the door with the cage key. She then tore the tumble lock apart on her cage door & got out. She is now locked in with a huge pad lock.

My U2 (Jasmine) also watched us open her door & figured it out & escaped. So we started locking the door (tumble/key lock in cage door). She tore her cage lock apart & got out while we were at work. You would not believe the damage she did to my drapes, sofa, TV cable, etc.. She is also locked in with a pad lock.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Yeah, one year I came home to Sweden (Goffin) out of cage. Found her on my bed with my German Shepherd Dog sleeping beside it.
Thankfully he was a very good dog!
She's given me a grey hair or two.
Omg that must have been so scary for you. Glad to hear nothing bad happened. :)

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Yep. I have 2 that managed to escape.

JaKhu's (B&G Macaw) cage has two door latches. They both have to be lifted all the way up & then slide over or the door won't open. She figured it out by watching me open her door & would get out. We locked the door with the cage key. She then tore the tumble lock apart on her cage door & got out. She is now locked in with a huge pad lock.

My U2 (Jasmine) also watched us open her door & figured it out & escaped. So we started locking the door (tumble/key lock in cage door). She tore her cage lock apart & got out while we were at work. You would not believe the damage she did to my drapes, sofa, TV cable, etc.. She is also locked in with a pad lock.
What a nightmare, especially with the cable. So many bad things could have happened with just that alone. Did she put holes in your drapes and couch?
We had just bought a new living room suite last year, and Dolly climbed up it and tore the material. We have 2 throws on everything now.
I can imagine someone wasn't too happy when you got home and saw the damage. :(

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a nightmare, especially with the cable. So many bad things could have happened with just that alone. Did she put holes in your drapes and couch?
We had just bought a new living room suite last year, and Dolly climbed up it and tore the material. We have 2 throws on everything now.
I can imagine someone wasn't too happy when you got home and saw the damage. :(
That day Jasmine (U2) chewed:

A 10 inch big round hole in one of my drapes & a few other smaller holes.
Chewed the TV cable in 5 places.
Chewed the wood trim on top & side of my sofa. Sofa has wood across the top & down the wing side.
Chewed a couple holes in the sofa cushions.
Chewed holes in my sofa afghan.
Somehow she also managed to get onto high wall decorations & damaged them as well.

She was sitting in her cage looking as cute as could be when we got home.

I ended up making a quilted cover to go over the entire top & part way down the front of my sofa to cover up the damage she did. We taped the TV cable & put a thick clear tubing over it. The drapes can't be fixed really. I made them & the Waverly drapery fabric was very expensive. Roughly $50.00 for one drapery panel. Yeah was not happy. Prior to this damage she also got onto a tall cabinet & chewed the beads off a Tiffany style lamp. We assumed she climbed up the drapes to get to the lamp. Oh & she also chewed thru the cord on new hand vac while I was using it. She had snuck off her cage & was behind me, so I had no idea she was doing it at the time. I turned around & she had the cord in her beak! She's done her share of damage that's for sure. She no longer gets let out unless we have eyes on her, as she can't be trusted. She can go from her cage to the parrot tower, which is right next to her cage, & back, but that's it.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That day Jasmine (U2) chewed:

A 10 inch big round hole in one of my drapes & a few other smaller holes.
Chewed the TV cable in 5 places.
Chewed the wood trim on top & side of my sofa. Sofa has wood across the top & down the wing side.
Chewed a couple holes in the sofa cushions.
Chewed holes in my sofa afghan.
Somehow she also managed to get onto high wall decorations & damaged them as well.

She was sitting in her cage looking as cute as could be when we got home.

I ended up making a quilted cover to go over the entire top & part way down the front of my sofa to cover up the damage she did. We taped the TV cable & put a thick clear tubing over it. The drapes can't be fixed really. I made them & the Waverly drapery fabric was very expensive. Roughly $50.00 for one drapery panel. Yeah was not happy. Prior to this damage she also got onto a tall cabinet & chewed the beads off a Tiffany style lamp. We assumed she climbed up the drapes to get to the lamp. Oh & she also chewed thru the cord on new hand vac while I was using it. She had snuck off her cage & was behind me, so I had no idea she was doing it at the time. I turned around & she had the cord in her beak! She's done her share of damage that's for sure. She no longer gets let out unless we have eyes on her, as she can't be trusted. She can go from her cage to the parrot tower, which is right next to her cage, & back, but that's it.
Oh my god!!!!! :bvryafd:

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today my budgie escaped again!!! Seriously, do I need a padlock for my budgie cage??

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My greenwing Natcho does this once in a while. She's currently in a double macaw cage and whoever designed it has the left on the left side of the cage going down to lock it and on the right side of the cage it is up to lock it. It's so much easier for them to open it if they just have to push it down. She's a nightmare when she's out because she hates me and I have to arm myself with a towel to get her back in the cage.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Today my budgie escaped again!!! Seriously, do I need a padlock for my budgie cage??
How is the budgie getting out? Set up a camera if you can and watch.
Are you 100% sure you are securely closing the doors?