• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Enrofloxacin

Blue moon

Checking out the neighborhood
My blue crown conure of 30 years has been prescribed Enrofloxacin 17mg - 14ml 2x per day for 4 weeks. Is this a usual dosage for a parrot?
Thank you for taking an interest to reply.

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
How much does your bird weigh and do you know the concentration of the enrofloxacin (how many mg/mL??)

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
The dose I most commonly see in birds here is somewhere between 10-30 mg/kg.
If your bird weighs 156 gm, she weighs 0.15 kg which means she could get somewhere between 1.5-4.5 mg.
I thought the oral suspensions were 25mg in a mL but you are saying the one you have is 17mg in a mL???

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Regardless, looks like 0.14 mL still falls within the dose range that I have seen used.
Dose ranges may be different outside of North America I guess.

DWRVT

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Debbie
Of course, each vet will be a little different too as some books suggest different dose ranges depending on the species of bird.
Call your vet back if you have any questions/concerns - it never hurts to ask!!!!

Blue moon

Checking out the neighborhood
Thanks again DWRVT. Appreciate your response.

I live in north america.
From what i have learned there are different suspensions.
Last year, her previous vet had prescribed-- 34mg, .05ml 2x per day for 14days. My pretty girl did well.

Most recent, new vet had prescribed 17mg, .14ml 2x per day for 4 Weeks.
Four weeks of treatment seems to be quit long duration for a conure or any bird. As i have understood it is a prett harsh antibiotic.
My conure had slight weazing, not a major infection.

Since my conure tolerated this med well last year. I didnt anticipate a problem.

Curious as to other folks experience with dosage and usage of erofloxacin/baytril.

Last edited: