• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ended up with 2 conures...

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Where do I even begin lol... so I unexpectedly ended up with 2 conures. About a week ago I was told about someone wanting to rehome 2 conures and that they weren't in the best conditions. One is a male Cinnamon Conure and the other is a female Green Cheek Conure, they are a bonded pair and are both around 3 years old. So I went to just visit them to get an idea of their personalities and see if there was a chance I might be interested. When I got there the conditions were worse than I expected; they had only one dowel perch in a cage that is too small to keep two conures in all the time and that was disgusting and it didn't look like it had been cleaned for a very long time. They had a very dirty water dish and a terrible seed mix that was meant for large parrots like African Greys and Cockatoos, it was full of peanuts, sunflowers seeds and colored fruit pellets. Also, there was hardly any toys in the cage and the few that were in the cage were plastic and frayed rope. They both have very severe wing clips and the female is missing a toenail, and her beak looks like it is chipping. They have been cage bound for almost their whole lives except for when the people said they would reach into the cage to grab them to pet them.

I was hesitant at first to take them since I have just brought Milo and Pip home, but after seeing the conditions they were in and spending some time with these sweet little guys, I decided to bring them home. I had thought it over time and time again since I had been told about them and I know I have the time, money and resources to take care of these two sweethearts. I am amazed at how trusting they are with me already even though they came from a situation that was far from ideal.

They are now quarantined (in a different room than my other birds) and I cleaned everything really well, scrubbed the cage (which took forever) and added all natural wood perches and plenty of foraging and shredding toys. I am getting them a new cage as soon as I can, so if anyone has any suggestions for flight cages for conures that would be great! I have started them on pellets, a healthier seed mix and vegetable chop. The male is now named Einstein and the female is now named Jade. The male (Einstein) is very social, despite the fact that he has not been worked with at all. He is very nippy though and will bite if my hand is near him or in the cage changing water etc. any advice on how to discourage/stop the biting? It doesn't seem to be in an aggressive way, but it still hurts. The female (Jade) is more skittish and trys to stay as far away as possible. They have a vet appointment scheduled for Wednesday, so I hope the vet can bring some peace of mind and answers to me about Jade's chipping beak and missing toenail.

Currently I'm letting them settle in and just spending time around the cage and sitting by them and talking to them or working on my college classes while sitting next to them so they start to get to know me better. I am just glad I got them when I did before their situation got any worse!
20201004_195911.jpg
20201005_102839.jpg

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
Einstein and Jade are having fun, now!
:welcome2:
Einstein will hopefully begin to accept treats, and your kind hand waiting outside the door with your voice reassuring him that its okay to step up.
Yes they are! Einstein will come to the door and take pieces of millet or fresh fruit from my hand, but will bite if I bring my hand closer to try to get him to step up. With time I think he will be just fine though, I think a lot of the biting at hands has to do with being a little hand shy since in the past he has only associated hands with being forcefully grabbed out of the cage by the previous owners.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
They look pretty healthy considering everything. So nice of you to take them! ❤
Yes, they looked pretty good considering, but had a lot going on that was less apparent at first glance. After being home for almost 2 months now they are doing a lot better, but are still very skittish and scared to death of hands being anywhere near them or the cage. Both of them had bacterial infections when I took them to the vet after getting them, but after two weeks of antibiotics, over a month of probiotics after that, three culture swabs, and a whole lot of money later they're finally healthy! They were also underweight and have gained a lot within the past month or so. Also their feathers look so much better, since they have the opportunity to bathe now. It's been quite the adventure with these two already, but we're making baby steps!

Skippy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Yes, they looked pretty good considering, but had a lot going on that was less apparent at first glance. After being home for almost 2 months now they are doing a lot better, but are still very skittish and scared to death of hands being anywhere near them or the cage. Both of them had bacterial infections when I took them to the vet after getting them, but after two weeks of antibiotics, over a month of probiotics after that, three culture swabs, and a whole lot of money later they're finally healthy! They were also underweight and have gained a lot within the past month or so. Also their feathers look so much better, since they have the opportunity to bathe now. It's been quite the adventure with these two already, but we're making baby steps!
Sounds like you are taking great care of them. ❤. Are they eating pellets now? If so, what kind?

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Yes, they eat Lafebers premium parrot pellets and a little bit of TOPS too, and a little bit of seed mix, vegetable chop every morning and fruits as treats!
That is incredible! Great job! (It's probably in our favor that Cheekies are so easily motivated by food :lol:)