• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

End of my rope

RVGirl42

Sitting on the front steps
Just an update...things are going a bit better thanks to your advice. I am keeping him closer to me and letting him sit with me on the desk for some time each day. Working on the foraging toys but that will take a bit of time. He has very loud morning calls but that settles down and he's been quiet the rest of the day. I rewarded him, per your advice, when he stopped screaming and ignored him when he did (it was hard). I am going to keep doing these things and get him on a more stable routine and hope that helps!

Here is Mr. Nubbins today on my desk...(Yes, I know he needs a nail clipping. I just moved to Milwaukee and I'm trying to find someone to do it here but not successful yet.)

Attachments

Kenzie

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kenzie
Just an update...things are going a bit better thanks to your advice. I am keeping him closer to me and letting him sit with me on the desk for some time each day. Working on the foraging toys but that will take a bit of time. He has very loud morning calls but that settles down and he's been quiet the rest of the day. I rewarded him, per your advice, when he stopped screaming and ignored him when he did (it was hard). I am going to keep doing these things and get him on a more stable routine and hope that helps!

Here is Mr. Nubbins today on my desk...(Yes, I know he needs a nail clipping. I just moved to Milwaukee and I'm trying to find someone to do it here but not successful yet.)
I have an easy, nearly free to very cheap and favorite way for my parrots to forage. They rarely get their meals for free and I try to have them forage for 100% of their solid food (haven't figured out a mess-free way for chop though lol, but there are some cool things you can do with a Green Bell Pepper btw!).

Get a cardboard box around a foot long, or longer, cut the height of the box down to just a few inches so it's a little tray. I usually put newspapers as sort of a floor or liner so I can reuse the box and change the paper. Anyways, start collecting destroyed toy parts. In your box you'll want to put shredded paper (dollar store, walmart, target, anything has it in the creativity isles!) and you can also cut up newspaper in confetti sized bits. Start adding random recycled toy parts from your destroyed toys. I build a lot of my toys so I have a lot of toy parts new and old laying around. Add natural branches from save trees from the outdoors (make sure to sanitize/bake/etc). This is an enriching way for them to gather food, it's natural and it brings a nice amount of time of silence.

For a beginner forager, you're going to want to make the food visible so they learn this is their new food bowl. After that, you can have sprinkled food still but hide the majority/the favorites in balled up pieces of Newspaper, belled up Cupcake liners, under a lot of confetti, in holes of a wood block that you drill holes in, etc. Get creative- it can be fun.

Another way if you're not feeling up to making a new box every few days, is to add a lot of that material in their food bowl, layer the food bowl with Coffee Filters + Newspaper and let them go in the food bowl and search for the food. For a beginner to this, you'll poke holes in the paper and make sure they can see some food in there.

Glad to see you're making some progress btw!