• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

End of my rope

RVGirl42

Sitting on the front steps
Hi all, I work in animal rescue so the idea of rehoming an animal is very alien to me, however, I'm in a quandary and I really need help.

I adopted a Tiel from a pet store that took in rescues. He has a deformed wing and just a nub, so I named him Mr. Nubbins. We have had a great 10 years together until the last year. It's because I had to sell my house and move into an apartment for reasons that are painful and personal, but a new house isn't an option right now.

He has a companion Tiel, however, during the past year, he has started screaming almost all day. I work at home as a writer and it's become literally unbearable. I can't concentrate. I can't take calls from customers because I can't compete with his noise. I put him in the bedroom and close the door but my place is small, so there isn't anywhere (like when I had a house) in my small apartment to put him where I can get away from the noise. It's full-blown screaming - not calling.

I've taken him to the vet - no issues. I've followed the training routines. No change. I move the cage with me into every room I go into so it's not lack of attention. No change. Since he can't fly, he has an open cage with his companion and the cage is huge. He has toys, food, everything. The ONLY thing that will make him quiet down is if I take him out, wrap him in a towel, and gently scratch his head. He hates/loves it but he stops screaming for the rest of the day. I keep thinking that's because he wants attention but he gets tons of attention otherwise and it doesn't change.

I have realized the screaming is calling to other birds and perhaps, because he's handicapped, he feels he needs to scream louder than other birds. His screaming is affecting my dogs and my mental health because there just isn't any way to get away from it unless I leave.

I have considered rehoming but then I freak out but at the same time. When do our needs take priority over those of our animals? If we can't handle them, what do we do? If we have to make the choice to rehome, where do we do it? I won't put him on Craigslist because it's too risky for his welfare. But I don't want to rehome him. I can hire a dog trainer to curb bad behavior but how do we train a Tiel?

Help me before I go to an asylum!

Attachments

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Sounds like he misses his friend. Are you open to getting a second tiel?
Also he’s VERY cute. I’ve always had a thing for the black and white tiels.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He´s very beautiful.

What happens when you let him out while you work? Maybe set up a play area for him with some toys and food?

Does he have many foraging activities available? Maybe make him forage for most of his daily food?

There are parrot behaviour experts you could call to come to your home and help.

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
He´s very beautiful.

What happens when you let him out while you work? Maybe set up a play area for him with some toys and food?

Does he have many foraging activities available? Maybe make him forage for most of his daily food?

There are parrot behaviour experts you could call to come to your home and help.
And Pam Clark does video consults.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
does he forage for food at all?

Does he enjoy any white noise?

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm also wondering if you've rewarded the screaming unintentionally.
If you run to placate, or scold, or move him, or show any dramatic behavior, that's a win for him.
Once a bird learns how to push your buttons, you've lost.
Have you tried headphones to dampen his noise.
I'm thinking it can be extinguished, but you're in for an uphill battle.
You may need to find him an alternative diversion, and learn to not run when he's calling.
A mirror for company? I know most don't like them, but it could help him.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
I can sympathize. I hope you figure out the best option.

JohnoLFC

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Damon Johnson
Hi @RVGirl42, how is Mr Nubbins getting on? I posted a very similar post not long ago, and got some advice from people here that has turned my bird from something I often tip toed around, to my best mate.

The tips I got were to firstly, stop acknowledging his calls. Wait for the moment he makes a less annoying noise and then go in and reward him. Sort of retain him that the "more bearable" noise gets your attention.

The other tip, was a routine. At the time, I didnt have a routine for Oxo. He would come out of his cage when he decided, by giving me ear piercing orders. I changed and now let him on his play stand of a morning whilst I get ready for work. He then goes back in with a bit of millet, as he'll stress free follow it back into his cage. Then as soon as I get home, I go on my exercise bike with him near by, then shower and let him out at dinner. He stays out for a few hours, then around 8pm, he begins to make a few loud noises to let me know hes ready for bed. I'll cover him up and he goes instantly quiet.

I hope you and Mr Nubbens can learn to live in a new place together, and I'm sure with the right advice and help, you'll have him back

RVGirl42

Sounds like he misses his friend. Are you open to getting a second tiel?
Also he’s VERY cute. I’ve always had a thing for the black and white tiels.
He has a friend! That's what's so baffling! I adopted another Tiel three years ago to keep him company. They are in the same cage.

RVGirl42

Thanks so much. He has mirrors. Lots of them. If I take those away he goes bonkers. He's got another friend, as well. I agree that I am probably rewarding the behavior by reacting. I think I have underestimated how smart they are! I think I need to keep visiting this forum and talking it out because I love his little annoying heart but I believe they are a HECK of a lot smarter than we give them credit for. Thank you!

RVGirl42

Hi @RVGirl42, how is Mr Nubbins getting on? I posted a very similar post not long ago, and got some advice from people here that has turned my bird from something I often tip toed around, to my best mate.

The tips I got were to firstly, stop acknowledging his calls. Wait for the moment he makes a less annoying noise and then go in and reward him. Sort of retain him that the "more bearable" noise gets your attention.

The other tip, was a routine. At the time, I didnt have a routine for Oxo. He would come out of his cage when he decided, by giving me ear piercing orders. I changed and now let him on his play stand of a morning whilst I get ready for work. He then goes back in with a bit of millet, as he'll stress free follow it back into his cage. Then as soon as I get home, I go on my exercise bike with him near by, then shower and let him out at dinner. He stays out for a few hours, then around 8pm, he begins to make a few loud noises to let me know hes ready for bed. I'll cover him up and he goes instantly quiet.

I hope you and Mr Nubbens can learn to live in a new place together, and I'm sure with the right advice and help, you'll have him back
This is great advice. It will definitely take discipline for me. It's become so hard on me psychologically that I am willing to try anything. I am hoping that this will help. I know he must have anxiety when I am not with him. I read that when they call and you don't respond, that means a member of the flock is not responding, which is BIG DEAL to them. So, I think that's why I always respond. I whistle back but, as you are saying, that's ok when he's just whistling but not screaming! I'm rewarding him for both! I see that now.

I want to try to have a routine, as well. He enjoys sitting with me on my desk in front of a mirror. I'm going to try to make that a routine every day, as well. We have a routine, but I think it needs to be enhanced and developed.

We have been through a lot together. He's gone through a cross-country move with me, then another move from one state to another. He's been a trouper and I love him. I don't want to rehome him simply because I'm not trying everything I can to make it work. That's my weakness. He's just trying to speak to me in the only language he knows. I'm not listening.

I appreciate the advice. I will try some different things and keep you all posted. Thank you!

RVGirl42

does he forage for food at all?

Does he enjoy any white noise?
I have not tried foraging for food - do you have suggestions on how to set that up? We sleep with a white noise fan but if I leave it on, it doesn't seem to help.

Reactions: Ali

RVGirl42

And Pam Clark does video consults.
He´s very beautiful.

Another poster here suggested foraging as well. I've never done that! Any suggestions? He has a play area that he's not that interested in. As I said, he's special needs, and so is the other Tiel I adopted so neither can fly. Therefore, the cage is always open with soft perches wrapping out and around the cage. I want to get away from that cage more often and set up other areas where he can sit with me. When I'm working at my desk, I put down newspaper, a mirror and food and he loves to hang out with me. He's QUIET then! I'm starting to see from all these posts what I am doing wrong. I can't blame the bird for what I do wrong. I'm going to try all these suggestions! Thank you!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I started with toys that could hold food and be visible. Then I started using more difficulty, like putting the food in the same toy, but covering it with cardboard. Then I got similar toys and started moving location. It took a while, but I can hide things all over now, and she'll keep busy looking for her treasures.

RVGirl42

I started with toys that could hold food and be visible. Then I started using more difficulty, like putting the food in the same toy, but covering it with cardboard. Then I got similar toys and started moving location. It took a while, but I can hide things all over now, and she'll keep busy looking for her treasures.
What a great idea! I'm going to try that today!!!! Can they smell the food? I read that the jury is still out on bird's sense of smell, but I can tell they can smell their fruits when they are coming!

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
When I'm working at my desk, I put down newspaper, a mirror and food and he loves to hang out with me. He's QUIET then!
Based off of this, it sounds like you just need a way for him to get from his cage to a playstand on your desk. If it works to calm him down, keep doing it!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Based off of this, it sounds like you just need a way for him to get from his cage to a playstand on your desk. If it works to calm him down, keep doing it!
Maybe a rope ladder or similar? Something like @JLcribber s ladders would do the trick...

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Another poster here suggested foraging as well. I've never done that! Any suggestions? He has a play area that he's not that interested in. As I said, he's special needs, and so is the other Tiel I adopted so neither can fly.
A foraging tray could be a good start :) I´m sure if you goolgle ¨foraging tray¨ lots of picture will come up.
lso, some foot toys as foragers could work.
Even some wall mounted foragers.
Toys like these are great fun for foraging; Foraging Toys for Birds
Rex - Dinosaur Shaped Foraging Toy

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What a great idea! I'm going to try that today!!!! Can they smell the food? I read that the jury is still out on bird's sense of smell, but I can tell they can smell their fruits when they are coming!
A bird’s sense of smell is minimal just like their taste buds (these things go hand in hand). Mostly everything to a parrot is visual. Their hearing is pretty good too.

I have one of these left in stock