• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Emmett and his issues...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
So here's what's going on lately. He's still mourning the loss of his last home. I do believe he's improving though. He wants to come out with me but then he gets nervous and bitey after a little while so I put him back. When I go to put him back, as I'm lifting him toward his perch he'll reach down, grab a finger and grind into it with his beak OUCH! :eek: So what I've been doing instead is right before I put him in his cage I give him a small piece of cracker so his beak is full and he can't bite me :D Then he steps up like a champ!

He tends to gravitate toward the shoulder but he will start attacking my face after a few minutes up there so we stopped allowing that. I bring out a perch stand and put it on a fold out table in front of the sofa. I put him up there and then he can just hang with us, like in this picture:

Well I've been putting some foot toys out on the sofa next to me and sitting him in my lap. Sure enough the past few nights he's been venturing off of me and onto the sofa to get the toys and chew them! :dance5: Also he and Jellybean have finally started playing with the toys in their cage that I made them. All they had before was a hanging perch and two old toys.

I want to get them a double cage like this one

but I'm not sure how they would handle being separated. Some days I come home to bloody nares and torn feathers when they get into spats and then other days they are cuddled up and feeding each other. You just never know.

Anyhow, I really long for Emmett being the cuddly bird he was with the husband in his last home. We did have a nice conversation with kissy noises and me mimicking him while he was in his cage last night before bed :heart:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Interesting about how they have spats and hurt each other :eek: :( I think it is a good idea but I would be hesitant like you, with all these changes. I wonder how they would do apart.
Good on ya with the cracker LOL
It sounds like he will eventually come around Heather. I can see someone who doesn't know birds give up, then Emmett would be totally anti-social. Those grey bites are nasty. Newman will still bite me when I put him in the cage if I don't put him in a certain way that he needs his beak to pull himself up.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Interesting about how they have spats and hurt each other :eek: :( I think it is a good idea but I would be hesitant like you, with all these changes. I wonder how they would do apart.
Good on ya with the cracker LOL
It sounds like he will eventually come around Heather. I can see someone who doesn't know birds give up, then Emmett would be totally anti-social. Those grey bites are nasty. Newman will still bite me when I put him in the cage if I don't put him in a certain way that he needs his beak to pull himself up.
Well they're like human brothers. They love each other one minute and the next they are mad because one touched the other's toy :rofl: My heart goes out to Emmett. He can be so sad sometimes and I just want to hug him and make it all go away :(

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Everyday his heart will hurt just a tiny bit less :(

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I sure hope so. I really do think he's coming around more and more. It's amazing though how fast Petrie came around after being ignored for 18 years and how long it's taking with Emmett who wasn't ignored. I really think it's harder on those that think they had it good already than those who didn't know love until now :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
it does sound like you are making progress with him though and that is a good thing...

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Awww! Its amazing for me to hear about how far Emmett has come since you got him :) I mean, he was very shocked and sad in your first posts. It sounds like he just needs some love and patience each and every day, and he will slowly adjust himself into your home and life (and heart :heart:).

How was Jellybean been?

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
it does sound like you are making progress with him though and that is a good thing...
Oh most definitely. I was worried for a while though because he just seemed so upset.

Awww! Its amazing for me to hear about how far Emmett has come since you got him :) I mean, he was very shocked and sad in your first posts. It sounds like he just needs some love and patience each and every day, and he will slowly adjust himself into your home and life (and heart :heart:).

How was Jellybean been?
Yeah, I'm trying to make time just for him every night to spend time getting to know him. Jellybean is a little monster that loves to talk to everyone! He makes us laugh constantly :heart:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Glad to hear it! He sounds like a little goofball hehe. I'm sure Emmett really enjoys that one on one time, especially when you have a showboat like Jellybean in the picture who is DYING to soak up some attention :D

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh yes, Jellybean thinks the world revolves around him :D

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Oh yes, Jellybean thinks the world revolves around him :D

Oh Heather, hadn't you heard? The world DOES revolve around Jellybean! Its scientifically proven :lol:

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
You should see when I get on the laptop. He climbs onto my chest and sits in my face kissing me saying "gimme kiss gimme kiss gimme kiss gimme kiss gimme kiss gimme kiss gimme kiss gimme kiss gimme kiss gimme kiss" :rofl:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Heather when we rehomed our grey, Dexter, his master had just passed away from cancer. The wife and daughters had nothing to do with him. He was so sad and very quiet when he came. We have had him for about 5 yrs now. He refuses to let my husband touch him. I can beak wrestle, scritch him all over and he talks to me all day. It took a good 3 yrs to get this far. He still refuses to step up and that is ok with me. We understand eachothers boundaries. I'm sure with time Emmett will come around. Greys are so very cautious with their feelings. They are just so intriguing due to how smart they are.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Wow, thanks for the story! I know I'm just impatient, but the previous owner wants to visit eventually and I want him to see a well adjusted Grey, ya know?

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Exciting update!

Emmett sat on my lap last night and let me scritch his head and neck and even rub around his eyes for like 10 minutes!!! :dance4::hehe::dance5:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Well I've been putting some foot toys out on the sofa next to me and sitting him in my lap. Sure enough the past few nights he's been venturing off of me and onto the sofa to get the toys and chew them! :dance5: Also he and Jellybean have finally started playing with the toys in their cage that I made them. All they had before was a hanging perch and two old toys.

I want to get them a double cage like this one

but I'm not sure how they would handle being separated. Some days I come home to bloody nares and torn feathers when they get into spats and then other days they are cuddled up and feeding each other. You just never know.

I like that cage, however that cage is much too small for two african greys :( I'd recommend getting, instead, the double macaw cage if you are to split the two birds up, and when you dont have to put the divider in, its a very big spacious cage, especialyl for aGrey sized bird.

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I like that cage, however that cage is much too small for two african greys :( I'd recommend getting, instead, the double macaw cage if you are to split the two birds up, and when you dont have to put the divider in, its a very big spacious cage, especialyl for aGrey sized bird.
This is actually a grey and a hanhs. The grey would probably be ok in the bigger side, and the hanhs would not do well in a cage with macaw bar spacing.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Yeah I haven't actually seen that cage in person so I wasn't sure. They cage they are in right now is half that size :( That's what they've had since they were babies and it's old and way too small for them.

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
I'm glad to hear he is coming around. Shadow used to pinch me, not hard but it was uncomfortable when I would put him in his cage. It started a few weeks after I adopted him. Redirecting him to something else worked well, and he hasn't done it in a few years.

I love the pic with Petrie on your husbands shoulder. It reminds me of my husband and his Congo. I think she is about the same age as Petrie, and she is a permanent fixture on my husbands shoulder. Right now he is at the store, and Rolly is on top of her cage, looking out the window calling his name.....

Sandy

Status
Not open for further replies.