• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Emergency!

Pixy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Helen
Hello
I have a 1 year old female cockatiel, I noticed recently for like 2 days she is not eating well, i thought she might be sick but today i watched her while eating found out she is struggling to cut the sunflower seeds , she keeps picking them trying to cut them but then puts them down cause she can’t , so i tried giving her watermelon seeds one of her favorites, i watched her it was the same thing she would pick one seed and drop it like multiple times trying hard to cut it but she can’t, this is some pictures of her beak, i don’t see a problem with her beak , but could it be a broken beak? Other than that she is really active , playful , doesn’t have any signs of weakness

please can anyone help me
Pics are attached

Attachments

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her beak looks fine from what I can tell.
Did you see her hit her beak on something?
Will she eat soft foods?

Pixy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Helen
Will she eat soft foods?
Yes she eats soft food drinks water, or when i break the shell of the flower seeds she eats the seeds , it’s just she can’t break hard foods idk why

Pixy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Helen
H
Will she eat soft foods?
Her beak got stucked with my necklace like 4-5 days ago

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes she eats soft food drinks water, or when i break the shell of the flower seeds she eats the seeds , it’s just she can’t break hard foods idk why
At least she’s able to eat still. I’d continue offering soft food. You could make her some cooked grains or steam some veggies for her.
H

Her beak got stucked with my necklace like 4-5 days ago
Hmm, this may have caused it. Since her beak looks okay, I maybe wouldn’t worry too much unless she’s still doing this tomorrow and you’re not seeing improvement, then I’d schedule an avian vet appointment as beak injuries are no joke.

Pixy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Helen
At least she’s able to eat still. I’d continue offering soft food. You could make her some cooked grains or steam some veggies for her.

Hmm, this may have caused it. Since her beak looks okay, I maybe wouldn’t worry too much unless she’s still doing this tomorrow and you’re not seeing improvement, then I’d schedule an avian vet appointment as beak injuries are no joke.
A friend of mine told me is cuz her upper beak got really long so she is struggling to catch the food, is trimming beaks a thing?

zERo/

Walking the driveway
Avenue Spotlight Award
Her beak looks perfect, I don’t think it needs a trim.
Most birds beaks done need trimming unless they have a poor diet or liver problems which cause excessively fast beak and nail growth sometimes.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A friend of mine told me is cuz her upper beak got really long so she is struggling to catch the food, is trimming beaks a thing?

I agree with @zERo/ regarding the length and appearance of your birds beak, offering soft foods and considering a vet appointment.

If your birds beak was caught in your necklace it may be a bit tender or even bruised.
Did you check inside your birds mouth?
The tongue is a massive part of eating so I’d be checking for damage done there as well as the inside the beak.

Beaks are sometimes trimmed but it’s generally only needed for unwell birds, birds who don’t chew to maintain their own beak or birds with varying beak conditions. No vet in their right mind would attempt to trim your birds upper beak as it appears now because it is fine.

If it’s been a few days and there’s still no improvement on her seed cracking skills then I would be scheduling an avian vet appointment.