• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Emergency baby bird

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I was so torn a short while back, I helped two baby sparrows that I think might have jumped the nest a bit early (most likely knocked out or chased off by a cat) and the parents were not helping- one made it the other did not, the one that made it I had fed and warmed up and he hung around for a few days being very friendly.. I so wanted to keep him. Sparrows can make wonderful companions.

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
How much big should the cage be?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I would think a similar size to a budgie flight cage but @iamwhoiam might know more about the best way to house this little cutie of yours.

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
I would think a similar size to a budgie flight cage but @iamwhoiam might know more about the best way to house this little cutie of yours.
I only want a cage for her to sleep in otherwise she will roam around inside my room.

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
Screenshot_20230501_104752.jpg
I have this temporary bird transfer cage will it work. I can put some cushioning to make it comfortable

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
Why does she keep on chirping even after being fed.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a great job you have done so far - hoping that she will progress and grow and give both of you happy moments!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You would want to get a finch cage with no more than 1/4" bar spacing.
As for letting the little one fly free all day that might not be the best thing especially if you have other birds or pets.
You would have to make sure that windows are covered and that she/he understands windows and walls so that those
won't be hit and she/he won't be injured. Bathroom doors would always need to be closed and if you are cooking in
the kitchen best to keep the little one in the cage. I would advise free flying indoors only if there was supervision and/
or monitoring. I would still wait a bit before moving the little one into a cage.

That "cage" in the photo is super small and way too small, IMHO. Spee started out in a paper towel lined bowl and was then moved to a 5 gallon
terrarium that was lined with paper towels with heating pad under half the terrarium. The paper towel lined bowl went into the terrarium, too,
and he was placed in that but could jump out if he wanted to. That little bowl stayed with him even when he was moved into a cage.
I don't remember how old he was before I moved him into the cage but I do believe he was at least 4 weeks
old or a bit more. Spee had issues with his legs and I was very careful moving him into the cage. I would have him in there a few hours when I could
monitor and then put him back in the terrarium. At one point I was very busy and I think two days went by and I didn't try him out in the cage.
He had a huge temper tantrum, banging on the glass and screaming so I moved him into the cage for a few hours. When I put him back in the terrarium
the same thing happened and I knew, at that point, he was done with the terrarium. In his own way he let me know he was ready to stay in that cage and not
be returned to the terrarium.

She/he could be chirping because she is still hungry or just wants more attention.

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
IMG_20230507_133706.jpg IMG_20230507_133706.jpg

What is wrong with her. Will it heal on it's own?

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
I have another question....I know I am disturbing you all a lot sorry for that.

Why is like rubbing and crawling and shaking her body off on my bed sheet.

Wsoul

Strolling the yard
I want to send a video but its showing file is too large.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is he/she scratching a lot? Have you checked under and through the feathers for possible mites?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I want to send a video but its showing file is too large.
You will need to link your footage from another site such as youtube, FB, Instagram, vimeo etc.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Looks like pre flight behaviors maybe? Hard to tell but looks like a baby trying to explore and forage for food to me.

(I have no experience with sparrows and this is just my first impression)