• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ELLIE is 6 weeks weeks egg free

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
Have not been online for some time now as ELLIE is my second female KAKARIKI as I had just got first one out off egg laying (MUMBLES) was her name and she had the habit of coming to me at night time and I unknowingly rolled on her in my sleep and when I woke up in the morning to wake up to was quite devastating as I was close to her which I only had for 6 months. That is one thing I will not let ELLIE do as when she was a baby she was scared she had a house under my pillow which I must admit probably causing her to 'fall in love' withme:eek::lol: I am glad to say she has now gone 6 weeks laying no eggs which has her now relying on me a lot. She still has her amorous moments in the morning and a mate of mine suggested I spray her with water to snap her out of it and it seems to be working and she seems no worser off for it. AndI think the biggest change for her was having her wings clipped to the extent that she can still manage to fly a little but not enough and I can confidently take her outside now bit all she wants to do is get back home to my unit. I felt so bad to take her flying away frim her as she sulked for 2 days but seems to be back to her old self wanting to follow me around and investigate everything I do. see yas STEVE.
:happydance:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh gosh, your friend gave you extremely outdated and inappropriate tips on dealing with your sweetie, please do not use something like a spray bottle or spraying of water to harass your bird for doing totally normal bird behaviours- punishment is not how you will ever get the best out of your bird and water is something that is needed to keep her clean and healthy so you really do not want her associating water with fear or negativity.

Just FYI...
Clipped birds 1) can still fly (just extremely poorly and can't rely on it to save themselves), 2) are more prone to serious and/or deadly accidents when attempting to fly, 3) are at a much higher risk for developing serious health problems so with your bird being a heavy egg layer you really want her flying to keep her extremely fit and healthy and lessen her chances of egg binding.
Clipped birds can and do fly off so taking her outside and feeling confident about it is a scary thing for me to read, I would hate for you to come back and share that she flew off- clipping can often destroy a birds confidence and it certainly gives humans a false sense of security, the difference between flighted and clipped birds flying off is that the clipped birds very rarely ever manage to survive long enough that they can be rescued and returned home (predators, poor landings, not as fit as they should be etc)... Best and safest way to take your bird outdoors is to get a travel cage or harness train your bird.

Please reconsider clipping your bird again as it is not ever going to be in her best interest and definitely take some time to read up information from the training court for healthy positive and appropriate ways to educate and train your bird to behave how you prefer- this water spraying is not a good thing to do.

Da KING

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
STEPHEN JAMES WALKER
Shezbug, thanks for the info and I feel like a fool - I did prefer when she flew properly but was so scared to lose her if I took her outside which I am sure she enjoys. I did buy a harness for her (early days) but she use to struggle so much when trying to get it on her so I gave up trying. I am sure she loves as she follows me every where but does not like my hands to come at her from above. She still every morning positions herself and I do not want her to lay again as I realize it is not a healthy thing.Where I live I am unable to take her to a vet so I can only learn from advice from others,(such as you) Thanks Steve

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Da KING

Hey Steve, please do not feel like a fool- it was not my intention to make you feel bad. We are all here to learn and share what we have learned in the hopes that the more of us there are taking on these better healthier practices for bird care the more things can change for companion birds and the faster all that outdated information can be put to rest.

If you are having issues finding a vet we can help you with that.

When your bird gets fresh with you I suggest you pretty much ignore it, look away, get up and move away or turn your back on her for a few seconds, if she is on you gently get her off you and move away, maybe give her something else to occupy herself with such as a toy.
There is no harm in her relieving herself on her perches, toys or on her own somewhere as long as she stops seeing you as a mate and for that to happen you will need to basically cut off any attention she gets from you when she is being "sexy"