• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ella, two days later

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
You may need to keep her away from your cockatiel at least until she is out of breeding condition. Where it is probably a combination of the cockatiel and the time of year (breeding season) that triggered this, I would keep them at a distance from each other for a few weeks. Yep, keep the paper out of the cage for a few weeks too...lol.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
How distant? Like she shouldn’t even see him or is it okay for them to see each other and just not really interact?

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
How distant? Like she shouldn’t even see him or is it okay for them to see each other and just not really interact?
putting them in different rooms would probably be the best solution, but if your house is open-concept like mine, where it's a pain to keep things in seperate rooms, you could just keep them as far as possible, and alternate out times.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
A cockatiel? Wow, never saw that coming.
If it's the Tiel that's the trigger it's not going to be the face-to-face that triggered the egg, there just hasn't been the time. So she maybe triggered by him just being in the same room. If this is the case life could become complicated.
I wouldn't remove him. I'd work on adjusting the night period as that is a direct method of controlling the season.
But that's just me.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
They can see each other just not interact together. Let them out separately. How does your tiel react to your budgie? I am willing to wager that the attention isn't reciprocated...lol.
He’s pretty neutral about her. Like he won’t attack her if they’re out together but is agitated by her following him. And he gets PISSED when she goes to his cage.

A cockatiel? Wow, never saw that coming.
If it's the Tiel that's the trigger it's not going to be the face-to-face that triggered the egg, there just hasn't been the time. So she maybe triggered by him just being in the same room. If this is the case life could become complicated.
I wouldn't remove him. I'd work on adjusting the night period as that is a direct method of controlling the season.
But that's just me.
We’ve only had him less than 3 weeks altogether. It’s just the only major change and she’s quite interested in him. He was in a separate room for a couple days, then across the room, and now their cages are next to each other but not touching. The face-to-face was last Tuesday and she laid the egg Sunday.
He was always a foster-to-adopt on the condition they got along because he was surrendered for being alone all the time and she’s been an only bird for three years. I’d really really like to avoid returning him to the sanctuary but if he’s gonna be that bad for her...
They get covered at 9 every night and the light goes off. However, they sleep in my bedroom and the TV stays on while we sleep so it’s never perfectly quiet or dark.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Yes the 12 hrs of night will help tremendously. Yep when a sole budgie hen gets it in her mind that it's time to start a family she can be triggered by another bird, a family member or even a favorite toy. Once she is out of breeding mode she will go back to her bossy little self...lol. She will likely bully your cockatiel then...definitely keep her out of his cage.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Yes the 12 hrs of night will help tremendously. Yep when a sole budgie hen gets it in her mind that it's time to start a family she can be triggered by another bird, a family member or even a favorite toy. Once she is out of breeding mode she will go back to her bossy little self...lol. She will likely bully your cockatiel then...
The original plan was to house them together if the got along. However, due to this and the fact that she is overall far more interested I’d accepted they’d continue to be caged separately. I won’t be working at home forever though, and I don’t know if they’ll be enough company for each other if they are in separate cages. I’ve really grown to love him, but I want to do what’s best for both of them.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
They can most definitely co exist just not in the same cage. It sounds strange but budgies are most often the bullies in this situation. They can and will learn to get along just never in the same cage. They can have out of cage time together WITH supervision though.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
They can most definitely co exist just not in the same cage. It sounds strange but budgies are most often the bullies in this situation. They can and will learn to get along just never in the same cage. They can have out of cage time together WITH supervision though.
I’m worried they won’t be enough company for each other when my partner and I have to leave post-Corona. And would it be okay to let them be face-to-face outside of hormone season? I’d really rather not go through this again lol

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Yes they can be out of cage together once you have observed that they are not aggressive with each other. I had a budgie hen and a cockatiel hen years ago. They were out together all the time. They learned to get along. My budgie learned that her company was NOT welcome inside my cockatiel's cage...she reluctantly stopped inviting herself in...lol. They are company for each other when alone.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Maybe you could use the tray without the paper for now and just scrape the poop off when you clean? I think @Fergus Mom might do this?
Yes, exactly what I do @Kiwi's Mom (you remembered right!) - no paper on their tray, even though they could not reach it through their grate - the grate sits up over the tray approximately 1/2 inch.

That’s the best idea we have for right now. As my partner pointed out, the paper is for our benefit and now hers and it’s not worth the added convenience if it’s gonna be bad for her.
It was for MY benefit that I didn't put paper in the bottom of the cage, because to me it seems WAY simpler to just scrape the poop off the tray about every four days, rather than to collect the paper, line the tray, then have to wad up the paper carefully and dispose of it.

We’ve only had him less than 3 weeks altogether. It’s just the only major change and she’s quite interested in him. He was in a separate room for a couple days, then across the room, and now their cages are next to each other but not touching. The face-to-face was last Tuesday and she laid the egg Sunday.
He was always a foster-to-adopt on the condition they got along because he was surrendered for being alone all the time and she’s been an only bird for three years. I’d really really like to avoid returning him to the sanctuary but if he’s gonna be that bad for her...
They get covered at 9 every night and the light goes off. However, they sleep in my bedroom and the TV stays on while we sleep so it’s never perfectly quiet or dark.
I have never had an egg laying budgie, (or an egg-laying anything), but I have this FEELING (with no experience to back it up) that the egg four days after your Cockatiel came was nothing more than a coincidence. But I'll have to defer to those with experience on that subject! ;)

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
From the "Grate or no grate?" thread :D

Probably not the real title, but it's the best I could come up with :thinking:
VERY good! My memory is not even as long as the proverbial pinky finger anymore! ;)

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
VERY good! My memory is not even as long as the proverbial pinky finger anymore! ;)
My parents are always commenting on how "They could never remmmeber that!" and "You have an amazing memory to remember such small details!"

I think part of it comes from the book quizzes I was obsessed with taking in 6th grade.
You got candy as a prize for a good score, who could say no to that :lol:

You needed to have a good memory and remember details from the book so that you could awnser the questions well. Each book was worth a different amount of points deppending on the reaing level. The most points for a book I took the quiz for was 42 points. The lowest amounts of points were only half a point! (There was also the monster book, "War and Peace" It was worth 119 points, IF you were able to get all the questions right. I often wondered if anyone has ever taken that test) Most people only got 200-500 points in the entire year, but I usually read a book every day in 6th grade, so I ended up with 1051 points for the whole school year. (I remember the exact number lol)

I read 85 books that year :reading:

I often tried to store my candy and save it, but much like @Zara and her pringles, I endedup eating them as soon as I could :laugh: