• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ella, two days later

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Hey everyone! For those of you haven’t been following my panic, Ella laid an egg two days ago, after a rather sudden trip to the emergency vet and a vet bill. I just want to make sure she’s acting normally post-egg and if there’s any sign she’s gonna lay another.
The two main things I wanted to comment on is that her poops are still quite big (still good color and shape though) and her cloaca still looks a little puffy (much better than pre-egg though). Are these normal after laying an egg, particularly is said laying was a bit difficult, or should I be a expecting a second egg? Thanks for all the advice

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is she sitting on her egg?

If she is, that most likely is the reason for larger droppings because they hold them in until they get off the egg.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
When you get the chance grab the egg and bin it. Then remove whatever that is you have in the bottom of the cage, that's likely a trigger to her laying (may not be the only one though).
Plenty of flying, that'll help her body recover.

Lori D Pert

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Lori
I'm no expert but if she is sitting on her egg I would allow her to do so. It's just the 1 egg so far? Yes her poops may remain big for awhile. If she doesn't lay more after 3 days she likely won't but after she has given up on the egg remove everything. 12 hours of sleep at night and allow her to fly, fly, fly...this gets her body back to health. Watch her behaviour and don't allow her to become fixated on any object or even person. You want to discourage her from going through the cycle again.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Doen't that make most birds want to lay more replcaement eggs?
This is what I thought as well. Today makes three days since the last one and if anything she is spending less time being nesty and sitting on her egg. I’ve removed the only nest-like thing in her cage and I’m trying to figure out what to do about her paper. Her grate is so close to the bottom that she is able to reach through an teatro up but I’ve read doing that can also make her nesty.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sorry I am no help on this one. Never had a female budgie that was a layer of eggs.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Budgies generally don't replace eggs.
I was just going off of my knowledge from the many "My tiel laid an egg help!" threads, I didn't realise that budgies were less likely to rplace eggs than other birds. Good to know that they usually don't replace, Blizzard will probably lay an egg at some point lol.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Budgies generally don't replace eggs.
Good to know!
Maybe you could use the tray without the paper for now and just scrape the poop off when you clean? I think @Fergus Mom might do this?
That’s the best idea we have for right now. As my partner pointed out, the paper is for our benefit and now hers and it’s not worth the added convenience if it’s gonna be bad for her.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
She broke open the egg and started eating it. Should I let her for the nutrients or should I take it from her

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
We removed the egg out of concern for her safety, but she appears to be looking for it? Should I get a dummy egg?

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
No don't get a dummy egg. She knows it's not any good. If this her first time laying then you are likely done with the cycle. @Ripshod is right in that most budgies will not lay replacement eggs but do keep in mind that whatever triggered her to lay may trigger her again in a few weeks or months time. Hopefully not.

keirieski17

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
No don't get a dummy egg. She knows it's not any good. If this her first time laying then you are likely done with the cycle. @Ripshod is right in that most budgies will not lay replacement eggs but do keep in mind that whatever triggered her to lay may trigger her again in a few weeks or months time. Hopefully not.
I removed her coconut hut and all the paper in her cage. The only thing I’m still concerned about is that she’s reeeeally into our new cockatiel. She started showing signs she was going to lay the same day as they met for the first time out of the cage. We let her out when we took the egg away and she flew right to his cage.