• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ella only eats her pellets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ok, so another question about this new bird (told you guys I would be bombarding you!) :p

So, Archie will generally eat a pretty varied diet. If I'm having some veggies, he will eat those right along with me, as well fruits and raisins (a favorite!) and other things. But I've noticed that Ella doesn't touch the fresh fruit that I put into her cage, or the raisins. The owner before mentioned this, that she couldn't seem to get Ella to eat ANYTHING besides her pelleted food.

Any suggestions? Its so strange for me, I got Archie as a little baby from a "breeder" although I just recently realized he doesn't even have a band on his leg? I thought most breeders put bands on their birds? Sorry for the off-topic question.

M-Nature

Walking the driveway
Real Name
M-Nature
My female red rump would not eat any fresh foods on her own either. After quarantine, she learned to love fresh fruits and veggies from her friend JJ. So don't stress out too badly at this point. Since Archie has good habits, Ella may learn them from him. If she is eating good quality pellets, she should be fine.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I would wait a bit but you can do what I do and put it in their birdie bread

thanks for sharing:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
An all pellet diet is not good for any bird...
Have you tried different sizes on the fresh veggies/leafy greens etc.? I cut mine about the size of my thumb nail....I also know that it takes awhile for some birds to realize what you are giving them is food...
the other thing you can do is to grind up the pellets and sprinkle that over the veggies and mix it in...or put the veggies on top of the pellets for them to forage down through to get to the pellets...
Here are some sites for picking eaters if you haven't seen them:
Land of Vos - Articles - Tips for Finicky Eaters
Parrot Nutrition. Grey Feather Toy Creations. Parrot Nutrition, Parrot Care, Bird Articles, Education.
To Peel or Not To Peel: Parrots and Natural Living Foods
But He Doesn't Like It by Pamela Clark
Introducing New Foods to Picky Pet Birds
Hope some of these ideas help you!:hug8:

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Thanks guys! I lost track of this thread before.
Billie Faye- You are a wealth of knowledge! Definitely going to try some of those techniques to get her to eat some other stuff besides her pellets. She recently nibbled a bit on a piece of dehydrated pineapple and seemed to like it, hopefully I can get her to try some other stuff as well

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Keep offering the veggies. For thr life of me I could not get Boomer to eat his fruit and veggies, he never got them and had no clue what they were. I started experimenting with them, putting them on veggie clips, chopping them up in bits, putting them in scrabbled eggs, apple sauce. A bunch of different methods but I did not give up and he eventually took to them, now he eats all the methods. So my advice is to experiment and you may find a way to get him to eat them. One thing I did was Boomer or Chiquita did not eat sweet potato so I mashed them up and put some apple sauce in it, mixed it up and they both eat it now. You can put them in whole grain rice and pasta, mine love that. Don't give up and keep offering them!!!!

Last edited:

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
Yep just keep trying! After 13 years I finnaly got Chico to start trying his veggies!

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Shelly, thats wonderful and gives me lots of hope! I really can't wait to get her to eat a more rounded diet...and get her off her pellets! They are so bright and colorful, and I can tell which ones she has been eating more of that day depending on her poop color :( Going to definitely be switching her over to something that isn't dyed, and that actually has a label on it so I can tell what I am feeding, hehe. This is just the stuff she came with.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
We've had Olly for almost two years now and he still will eat only pellets and banana. I still offer him tons of different foods, but so far he's still not interested. We'll get there some day though:)

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
way to keep up with trying! you are making great decisions! (my sun also prefers her pellets but is a sucker for fruit and birdie bread - of course peppers i swear they are all infatuated with peppers)

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ooo, Peppers now thats an idea! I have some fresh red and yellow peppers in the fridge, I'll have to chop those up and see if she would be interested in eating those :)

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
oh yeah those are like a staple in the fresh salads the kids can't imagine having to eat veggies without them.. lol and it makes them smell wonderful!

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
of course peppers i swear they are all infatuated with peppers)
mine wont eat peppers but i agree with the they learn off each other as it worked for me and just keep trying shell get it

Chicklette

Real Name
Courtney
You know they may start picking at it when we are not looking. I made some mash one day and I thought Boomer just threw it on the bottom but when I was not looking I saw him eat it. I saw that his food dish was always empty but he ALWAYS eats it when Im not looking. :p

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
You know they may start picking at it when we are not looking. I made some mash one day and I thought Boomer just threw it on the bottom but when I was not looking I saw him eat it. I saw that his food dish was always empty but he ALWAYS eats it when Im not looking. :p
:rofl: Sneaky little bugger!
Ella has decided she likes banana, which is a start. At least she realized it was food and was eating it when offered. She didn't touch any of the pepper I cut up, or the blueberries, so I'm making some birdie bread tonight with the remnants, mixing it with some of Archie's pellet/fruit mix and I'll sprinkle it over her dish and see what happens!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Ok, so another question about this new bird (told you guys I would be bombarding you!) :p

So, Archie will generally eat a pretty varied diet. If I'm having some veggies, he will eat those right along with me, as well fruits and raisins (a favorite!) and other things. But I've noticed that Ella doesn't touch the fresh fruit that I put into her cage, or the raisins. The owner before mentioned this, that she couldn't seem to get Ella to eat ANYTHING besides her pelleted food.

Any suggestions? Its so strange for me, I got Archie as a little baby from a "breeder" although I just recently realized he doesn't even have a band on his leg? I thought most breeders put bands on their birds? Sorry for the off-topic question.

I don't know if this has already been posted:

Seven Layer Salad Exotic birds, pet products - - Feathered Fitness

Some of my birds didn't eat fresh foods for a long time and I wasted alot, but sooner or later (usually later:) they start trying it, especially if there are other birds eating it. I would keep putting it in there. Sprinkle pellets over it.

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Yep. Ella hasn't really seen Archie since she is in quarantine still, but she has a new thing where she wants to eat whatever daddy eats. So I'm killing two birds with one stone by getting Paul to eat healthier--and share with Ella at the same time!

Who would have thought a bird would be so healthful?! I haven't seen him eat this many veggies in all the years we have been together. I feel like a mastermind :muahaha:

Hay Kay

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Haylie
woowo whooo! that is awesome! and that is because you are one.. hehehe

Archiesmom

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Ella didn't touch the birdie bread. She wouldn't even go next to her food dish after she saw me sprinkle it in there. There was a deliberate and purposeful snub of my cooking, hehe. My feelings would be hurt if Archie hadn't scarfed down his bread and given me little kisses the rest of the night trying to glean a few more crumbs from me :laughing12:

Status
Not open for further replies.