• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Ella and Zoey go to school - our first training sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Wow, I was so impressed with Bean and Erica that I decided to try training with Ella and Zoey. Ella is all done healing for the most part so this will give her something to focus on. She is so eager to please. I think she's going to do great. So here's our first training session.

With Zoey it was her first time on the stand and she doesn't like hands or being petted so we just got her use to being off her cage, and getting petted and giving treats.

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Oh, I have to review some training techniques. I was going to use a clicker, but the dogs have been trained initially with a clicker and I don't want them running and jumping up scaring the birds thinking they are going to get treats.

CeddysMum

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Astrid (formerly: 'featherbaby')
Good Job, Ella and Zoey! :dance4::dance4::dance4:

Oh, I have to review some training techniques. I was going to use a clicker, but the dogs have been trained initially with a clicker and I don't want them running and jumping up scaring the birds thinking they are going to get treats.
Could you use a 'tongue click' instead of a clicker? Or would that also set off the dogs?

I've been using 'tongue clicks' (like you sometimes hear people doing when horseback riding - does that make sense?) for Ceddy's training because I found handling the clicker, target (chop stick), treat and (if applicable) Ceddy sitting on my arm/hand (e.g. when training her to step up/recall training) all at the same time Wayyyy too much of a handful :lol:

I don't really do regular 'training sessions' with her any more, it's more of an ongoing throughout the day kinda thing and I find it to be an advantage that the 'tongue click' is always available (no searching where the heck I left that clicker again :D), even if she happens to do something good unexpectedly that I'd like to reinforce.

It's been working great for us.

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
Astrid thanks for suggestion. I will try the tongue click and see if it sets the dogs off. Definitely would be easier.
I probably have about 4 clickers in this house somewhere and I only know where one of them is at this moment.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Zoey looked like she done pretty well for a bird that doesn’t like hands or being petted. Ella’s training session looks like it went really well, too, what a good girl. :)

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Awww, she is just so sweet and so smart. And Zoey looked like she really does like to be petted, just a little bit.

Ginger

Status
Not open for further replies.