• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Egg laying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandalin

Checking out the neighborhood
I have had my plet for about a year and she is laying eggs. I have no clue what to do to help or make her stop? It started maybe a month ago and then she had 6 over a week and now she had one (smaller than her others) and is about to have another. She doesn't like to be handled so I don't want to upset her by messing with her too much. Any advise welcome!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
if one is smaller than the others, that is a sign for concern..they should all be same size and hard....shows she needs calcium..so get calci-boost or another calci supplement asap..also I trust you are leaving the eggs with her...do not take them away or she will lay to replace..you can also buy false eggs on line at birdsupplynh.com..they come in handy if any break etc..that way, you can slip one in without them noticing..also you can replace real ones with false if you dont want babies....at any rate put a small paper towel on the grate for her to be a little more comfy....she will be extra nasty right now and want lots of food...poops extra big too....25-30 days or so before she abandons...then shake up her world....take the eggs out..(after about a month)---move her perches around...move the cage if y ou can...12-14 hours night...limit soft warm foods....if none of that works then you may want to visit a vet to ensure she is not getting chronic...

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
forgot to add you cant actually buy parottlet false eggs but finch eggs should do the trick

mandalin

Checking out the neighborhood
She has a "happy hut" (Happy Hut Hideaway by Multipet - Nesting - Bird - PetSmart) that she lays them in and after a day or so she pushes them out and they fall onto the grate. If they don't break she will go break them. Do I need to take out the happy hut and force her to lay them on the bottom of the cage? I was just watching her and I put a calcium dust on her food and now she will get the food out and take it to the water bowl to wash it off before eating it....great

Status
Not open for further replies.