• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Editing or deleting a post

Patsy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patsy
Hi, After a few minutes of writing a post I see the option to Edit is gone. It would be so helpful to be able to edit a post for at least a few hours after. I make lots of mistakes, or want to explain things further in that post or change the wording. But, I stuck with what I write even when it may not make sense...Am I missing something here. Is the option there but I can't see it?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You have ten minutes to edit your original post. Hope this helps some.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Nope, you only get a few minutes.
I've been stuck with misspelled words and bad grammar more than once! :(
I think you can ask a mod to edit it if it's really important.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Hi, After a few minutes of writing a post I see the option to Edit is gone. It would be so helpful to be able to edit a post for at least a few hours after. I make lots of mistakes, or want to explain things further in that post or change the wording. But, I stuck with what I write even when it may not make sense...Am I missing something here. Is the option there but I can't see it?
The edit button disapears after a few minutes. If you wanted to change something but missed the window of editting, I suggest quoting your post to add any clarifications you wanted.

Don't worry about typos, we all make them ;)

sometimes I spell something right once and wrong another time, both in the same post!

Patsy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patsy
That's too bad. That's like Twitter. You can't edit either and I find that so annoying as it's so simple for the moderators to give us such an important option. We should have a right to edit our posts. Just saying.

Patsy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patsy
The edit button disapears after a few minutes. If you wanted to change something but missed the window of editting, I suggest quoting your post to add any clarifications you wanted.

Don't worry about typos, we all make them ;)

sometimes I spell something right once and wrong another time, both in the same post!
So is quoting a form of editing then?

Patsy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patsy
Like in my last post I write I'm probably driving Harry my cockatiel crazy with how I change my clothes. I wanted to change the 'driving him crazy' quote afraid someome might take that in a bad way when I'm meaning it in a funny way.

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
not really, but for exaple you could have written:

"My bird is sick"

But then you missed the editing, so you quote it in your next post as a way to clarify:

"my bird is sick" (quoted)

"to clarify, my bird has been showing syptoms of a sickness today, and I will be taking him to the vet soon, in the meantime, what should I do?"

Hope that makes sense :D

Patsy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patsy
Thanks, I guess it's better than nothing. There must be a reason for the moderators to have the editing set up this way and, I respect that..But it would be nice to be able to edit.

Patsy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Patsy
There a report button next to a post . with ... dots. when I click on it it give me option to edit or delete. Is this temporary too then? Yep, just checked its not there on older messages.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
We used to have it open for longer, and unfortunately some people abused it by editing or deleting posts that a lot of people responded to, and then the rest of the thread made no sense.

A lot of people donate their time and energy to helping each other. When someone posts a thread it is not just read by one person; it is read by and potentially helps hundreds of people. So it's upsetting when people spend time to help another and then the post gets edited or deleted.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
That's too bad. That's like Twitter. You can't edit either and I find that so annoying as it's so simple for the moderators to give us such an important option. We should have a right to edit our posts. Just saying.
No it is not a simple thing to do nor is it a good option for the forum- people abuse it and change posts that then leave the following posts making no sense. It is very confusing to read and hard to get valid information when people come alter posts that others have already responded to. This time was changed with the last update. Proof read your post or type it save the draft and do not post it till you have given yourself time to read over it again.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
We used to have it open for longer, and unfortunately some people abused it by editing or deleting posts that a lot of people responded to, and then the rest of the thread made no sense.
I was victim to an abusive post which was later edited so I appreciate the admin's PoV. But I can understand your point too @Patsy, I'm a bit of a perfectionist with what I write (read: pedantic). 10 minutes to edit after posting is a good compromise that's easy to get used to.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Proof read your post or type it save the draft and do not post it till you have given yourself time to read over it again.
Thats a good idea :)

We all make typos, so we are all used to it. The qupote feature to add info is a good way of explaining something a little better.
I know on my latest thread I listed a ¨Pant stake¨ as something I received in a box... It should have said Plant stake :facepalm: