• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Edgar lost a feather

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
Sorry if it is a stupid question or one of the signs of my advanced paranoia but...
Edgar lost a feather doday. He is going through baby molt because he is losing quite a lot of down feathers (those fluffy ones are down feathers, yes?). I've read it is pretty normal, considering he is 8 months old, so I'm not worried.
Today though he lost different looking feather. I just wanted to ask if this is normal. I don't think it is real molt starting because: 1. Edgar is too young, 2. He is supposed to lose outer wing feathers first and this one doesn't look like outer wing feather.
So, is it normal for a bird to lose a feather just like this? 1pioro.jpg

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
It should be fine! Birds lose feathers basically all the time, even when they're not molting. Now, if you were to see Edgar plucking a multitude of his feathers, then you'd have an issue, but hopefully that's not the case. I have a collection of feathers I keep from my babies (which actually inspired me to write this one 'birb tweet'). Hope this helps!

Kodigirl210

My vet said 5-6 months old they start losing contour feathers and 9-months the bigger ones. Edgar isn’t really that far off. :)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
@Davi it does help. Thank you. I'm sure Edgar didn't pluck this feather because I saw him when the feather fell down. He was sitting calmly on his perch, it happend just before his bedtime. At first I was so surprised that I pulled the feather into the vacuum, as I was just vacuuming his cage. Then I took it out and put it into the old jewlery box. Good to know that you are keeping your fids' feathers too. I can't see your birb tweet.

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
My vet said 5-6 months old they start losing contour feathers and 9-months the bigger ones. Edgar isn’t really that far off. :)
Oooo, that's good to know. Do you think it is a contour feather? I'm a little lost with English names for feathers.

Kodigirl210

I tend to group the floofies and smaller feathers as contour. My vet specified flight and long tail feathers for the 9 months.

As @Davi said it looks like a naturally loosened feather so I wouldn’t be too concerned. ;)

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
@Davi it does help. Thank you. I'm sure Edgar didn't pluck this feather because I saw him when the feather fell down. He was sitting calmly on his perch, it happend just before his bedtime. At first I was so surprised that I pulled the feather into the vacuum, as I was just vacuuming his cage. Then I took it out and put it into the old jewlery box. Good to know that you are keeping your fids' feathers too. I can't see your birb tweet.
Here's the birb tweet (sorry it didn't work earlier!):

Birb Tweet #10: "It's not that I'm just a little creeped out by you keeping my feathers in a drawer. I am VERY creeped out" Idolized Birb #birbthoughts #birdthoughts #birbtweets #birdtweets #etsyshop #etsyseller #perches4change #birdtoys #parrots #creepy #thefeathercollector