• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus Talking male vs female

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Hi everyone.

Just a curious one...

My baby Luna is almost 1 year. It was a scary beginning...but became something extraordinary.

She's at that age now where her talking is becoming more clearer. Her favourite thing to say is, "Hello Luna!"

That is something she will repeat when greeting her, mostly out of excitement. She is not much into talking other than that.

She does love to sing and make sounds when there is music playing, when she is being put in her cage for the night or taking her out the cage in the morning.

Me and my partner spend enough time with her, enough for her to have picked up a whole vocab. She just doesn't seem interested. Like I'll do it when I feel like type.

She had a similar kind of attitude towards her touch training... Not sure if it's a female thing or if I'm just generalising...

Would just love to hear some opinions on talking experiences and if it's any different compared to males.

I know she's relatively young too and she will learn more as she grows... I'm just wondering as I've seen males her age fluent with good amounts of words...

Would love to hear any experiences with other types of birds too!

Thanks

Attachments

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it's just their choice. My hahns is not interested in mimicry, but I know he can pick up human words. He sometimes does mimic but generally he is like I am not interested in this type menial jobs thank you very much. :rofl: My amazon can mimic any bird speech accurately but also on his terms only.

parrotcafe

Meeting neighbors
I do not have experience with maleHi ekkies. However I do have a female that is 3.5 years old. She says: Peekaboo, Hi babe, Want some water? Where ya going? What ya got there? Your beautiful, Eagle wing, Eagle, along with some kissing noises. She did not start speaking until she was a year old.

parrotcafe

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone.

Just a curious one...

My baby Luna is almost 1 year. It was a scary beginning...but became something extraordinary.

She's at that age now where her talking is becoming more clearer. Her favourite thing to say is, "Hello Luna!"

That is something she will repeat when greeting her, mostly out of excitement. She is not much into talking other than that.

She does love to sing and make sounds when there is music playing, when she is being put in her cage for the night or taking her out the cage in the morning.

Me and my partner spend enough time with her, enough for her to have picked up a whole vocab. She just doesn't seem interested. Like I'll do it when I feel like type.

She had a similar kind of attitude towards her touch training... Not sure if it's a female thing or if I'm just generalising...

Would just love to hear some opinions on talking experiences and if it's any different compared to males.

I know she's relatively young too and she will learn more as she grows... I'm just wondering as I've seen males her age fluent with good amounts of words...

Would love to hear any experiences with other types of birds too!
both your birds are beautiful! How do they get along?
Thanks

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
Thanks for your posts guys. I do love waking up to the sounds of my happy baby singing and whistling in the morning... It seems she will do it on her own time. She's definitely capable.

LunaEkkie

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jason
I do not have experience with maleHi ekkies. However I do have a female that is 3.5 years old. She says: Peekaboo, Hi babe, Want some water? Where ya going? What ya got there? Your beautiful, Eagle wing, Eagle, along with some kissing noises. She did not start speaking until she was a year old.
Please tell me a little more about your baby and her personality. Does she like scritches, what does does she enjoy etc..

I ask as Luna only recently started enjoying scratches. I've been trying to force the issue because she doesn't let my male nansun preen her. She's a bit of a bully toward him...She does not like to be pet too but loves to be held.

Any tips or anything will be much appreciated :)

parrotcafe

Meeting neighbors
Please tell me a little more about your baby and her personality. Does she like scritches, what does does she enjoy etc..

I ask as Luna only recently started enjoying scratches. I've been trying to force the issue because she doesn't let my male nansun preen her. She's a bit of a bully toward him...She does not like to be pet too but loves to be held.

Any tips or anything will be much appreciated :)
Sophie is very clever and always wanting to be where I am. I love her dearly. She is beautiful. She loved scritches up until she was 3 years old. Up until she was 3, i could pet her and even turn her on her back and tickle her stomach lol. Then all of a sudden she demanded to be a hands off bird. She wants to be where I am and is happy to be perched on a t stand next to me or on my knee but she does not want scritches at all anymore. The few times ive tried, she bit me and bit hard. Once giving me nerve damage that lasted 6 months. She is also very hormonal and gets very territorial of things. I have read this is normal for female ekkies. Ive had to become an expert at reading her body language. We actually have a vet appointment coming up to talk about getting her the hormonal implant to try and curb some of her hormonal behavior.
⁠Despite her aggressive hormonal behavior I still feel like she is a very good companion. She is fun to watch, doesnt scream, and seeks me out to always be with me. I take her into the shower with me every day and she likes that. I also put her in a pet stroller and take her on walks which she is learning to enjoy. I enjoy making her food and cooking for her. She loves her toys and its fun to watch her explore and interact with a new toy. For awhile i was upset that she wasnt the bird i imagined me having...I imagined a bird that i could pet all the time. However Ive come to feel that she was indeed the perfect bird meant for me. I have anxiety and i could not imagine having a bird that screams constantly or has a freak out if im not giving it undivided 24/7 attention.

Your girl Luna is beautiful. I bet she will start talking more as she gets a little older :)

Attachments