• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus cage setup

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I vet wrap nearly all the perches. It prevents any chance of slipping on a smooth surface and is gentle on their feet.

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Well it looks like we get to pick up early! He was supposed to be ready mid February but he has been refusing feeds for a while now! :bliss:she is keeping him a little longer just to be safe but we will probably be picking him up Monday the 3rd! We decided to go with Pascal :dance4: so excited

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I bet you are buzzing with anticipation! How exciting!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Ekkies need plenty of wood to keep their beaks from overgrowing. In the wild they use them to hollow out big holes in trees for nests where the female remains until the babies can fly while the male brings her food all the time. He regurgitates to her both food and water!

Since ekkie diet is mainly fresh fruit, think about wall splatter clean up, as well as floor area. You can't vacuum or sweep up chewed fruit pieces! Berries are their favorite, but stain everything too.

they love to forage and roam around. They have VERY large beaks for their body size and can do some real damage to woodwork and furniture. I HAD to make an aviary room where they can be out of their cages without me eyeballing them every second. I never shut cage doors now (except when Lucy is hormonal - she's a total terror). Get a live tree or two of you can. They love hiding in the branches. Ekkies don't flap their wings and fly/run away when startled or frightend: They FREEZE in place! So having "cover" for them is important as large open places are intimidating to them.

they love bathing. Get a large pan type or they'll try to wedge themselves in a small bowl! View attachment 322283 View attachment 322284 View attachment 322285 View attachment 322286 View attachment 322288 View attachment 322289 View attachment 322290 View attachment 322291 View attachment 322292 View attachment 322293 View attachment 322294
WOW!!!

Look @mythic55

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
How long do you guys usually leave their bowls of fresh food out for them? I'm not sure when I should pull it!

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
A few hours, less as it gets closer to summer.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
LOVE that stand, how much was it and where'd you get it?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
How long do you guys usually leave their bowls of fresh food out for them? I'm not sure when I should pull it!
I've been doing 2 hours with all my birds with veggies fruits etc
My boy regressed a bit so I've been handfeeding him pureed chop but leaving stuff in his cage that won't get gross after half the day like berries.

reffek94

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
LOVE that stand, how much was it and where'd you get it?
I got it from amazon. It was very easy to put together. Then I vet wrapped everything to make it more colorful and easier to perch on!
It has gone up in price a little since I ordered it but here is the link:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
How did I miss this? I was even tagged. Ugh. Thats what i get for using my computer and mobile.

I leave fresh out 2 hours... fed three times a day. In between is snacks, there is a ekkie seed/nut/fruit mix, ekkie pellet mix and freeze dried goodies. Lots of foraging toys with treats inside.