• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Eclectus and Conures

as31

Sitting on the front steps
I have been considering getting an eclectus for quite a while now. I have had my conure for a year and he is a year and a half. If I get a baby eclectus and raise it with my conure, could I keep them in the same cage?

as31

I have been considering getting an eclectus for quite a while now. I have had my conure for a year and he is a year and a half. If I get a baby eclectus and raise it with my conure, could I keep them in the same cage?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hi there that wouldn't be a good idea for them to share a cage. Even if they were the absolute best of buddies the sheer size difference is just too much to chance it in my humble opinion. All it would take is one show of force even accidentally and then sadness would happen.

They could perhaps be out of cage friends if they got along were the conure could get away from the Ekkie if need be but in a cage is a whole different ballgame.

@Mizzely had 2 species fairly similar in size and there was a disagreement and I believe he's still got a noticeable mark on his beak many years later.

as31

Feel free to give me suggestions on any other species in that size range that may also work.

as31

Hi there that wouldn't be a good idea for them to share a cage. Even if they were the absolute best of buddies the sheer size difference is just too much to chance it in my humble opinion. All it would take is one show of force even accidentally and then sadness would happen.

They could perhaps be out of cage friends if they got along were the conure could get away from the Ekkie if need be but in a cage is a whole different ballgame.

@Mizzely had 2 species fairly similar in size and there was a disagreement and I believe he's still got a noticeable mark on his beak many years later.
Thank you, I will take this into consideration

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh let me tag @Elizabeth she has a Greenie and a Ekkie so she can give you more indepth help in that regard.

What species of Conure do you have ?

as31

I have a cherry head conure.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh wow that's not a very common species,we'd love to see pics. So a larger conure let's see have you thought about either other conure species like a Blue Crown or Golden Conure or maybe a Mini Macaw like a Hahns or Noble to stay in a closer size range?

There's no guarantee they'd be friends of course and able to share a cage but there's a slighter risk of injury vs with such a large species like an Ekkie.

as31

Yea, that's a great idea. I never heard of mini macaws so I just looked them up. They really fit the type of bird I'm looking for.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I wouldn't count on keeping any birds together in the same cage to be honest, at least to start with. Even same species can hurt each other if they don't like each other. You should always start with two separate spaces; if they become friends, you can go from there.

My Hahns did bite my Quaker... He wanted to preen her and she was just saying "no thank you." That was over 10 years ago and yes he still has a chunk of his beak missing.

Mini macaws or larger conures have the best chances for the species you have, but again, there are no guarantees. Just like not all humans are compatible roommates!

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yea, that's a great idea. I never heard of mini macaws so I just looked them up. They really fit the type of bird I'm looking for.
Oh that's wonderful then. We have a few mini macaw owners here. I'll tag them for you @TikiMyn @MiniMacaw . They are very strong for their size though and can be a bit temperamental but so can any species but definitely something to be aware of.

as31

I wouldn't count on keeping any birds together in the same cage to be honest, at least to start with. Even same species can hurt each other if they don't like each other. You should always start with two separate spaces; if they become friends, you can go from there.

My Hahns did bite my Quaker... He wanted to preen her and she was just saying "no thank you." That was over 10 years ago and yes he still has a chunk of his beak missing.

Mini macaws or larger conures have the best chances for the species you have, but again, there are no guarantees. Just like not all humans are compatible roommates!
That's a smart idea. I'll see what I can do to introduce them as slowly as possible.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't think it's safe to keep mixed species in the same cage. Sometimes even the same species doesn't like to share a cage.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I :heart: mini macaws, but like all species they have their own drawbacks. Some things I have noticed in the birds I have met, just my observations of a limited group of minis, nothing is set on stone of course.
They is they seem to be less 'touchable' as adult, especially the males. This does seem to be less true for hahns/nobles though.
They are head strong and can get possesive over things they perceive at theirs and are not afraid to nip or bite. Although, mine even when very upset seem to show restraint and don't go full force or grind.
You can't force them, I sometimes see people with their parrot, petting them while the bird is not interested in being petted per se but will allow it. That is quite unlikely to happen with a mini, they tend to be really clear about what they want. I have limited experience with Amazons, but in my mind minis are similar to zons in that aspect.
They seem like super confident birds but I also see insecure behaviour in both of mine, and when not treated right I think they can become quite phobic/scared. In one sanctuary there was an aviary of illigers, most of them plucked, they seemed so scared. After sitting with them for a long while one of them started opening up a bit. Not sure what there story was though. But it never hurts to boost their confidence whenever you can and make sure they get used to lots of different situations in a positive way.

The good, well they are so funny and chatty! Both of mine adore mimicking sounds and sometimes words. And loyal to their people, if they have chosen you. Really active little birds, which can backfire in getting into the one thing not meant for them in the room. Mine enjoy training, they love recalling most. Some minis seem to border on shy and others are entertainers, or of course they can be both depending on the situation like my illigers. Both of mine love when you laugh at something. One of mine is an avid wood chewer, but they both adore plastics and beads. My 6 year old has a quick mind, really smart and sometimes manipulative. Oh, I am not sure if this is a common but my illigers LOVES to bath, a lot of fun to give him a spray bath as he shows off and gets all fun crazy:)