• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Easy Tricks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cylifornia

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Cylifornia
Hello, I'm new here. I've had my Tiel since October, and I love her so very much. Now that we know each other well and know one another, I want to start training her. she knows the 'Step Up' command but thats it. I'd like something to teach her so she can earn her treats as well as give us a chance to bond. what are some simple and easy tricks?:dance4:

KatherinesBirds

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
I used a length of thin leather cord and a tiny bucket to teach my Red Bellied to retrieve a treat. I first used a very short length of about three inches and placed the treat (tiny bit of cheese) in the bucket. You can find these little buckets on ebay or in one of the stores here. Then I gradually lengthened the leather cord until she raises is from about 8 inches! Your tiel might want something shorter. You could make a little cup or bucket I think. It should be very light for a tiel.:heart:

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
The wave is probably one of the most basic tricks. Spin is also pretty simple to teach and learn.

clicknparrot

Meeting neighbors
As already said, wave is quite easy, retrieve is a bit harder. Turn around is quite easy.

I advice you to teach "target", easy and really useful for many many purposes and tricks. As you probably knows, the thing is to make your tiel to beak gently the point of a stick, then you click (or bridge or praise) and treat. The idea is that you can make the bird move where you want, or touch what you want, just by conditioning him to follow the stick (target).

This trick is very easy and, as I said, really useful.

Of course the best advice I can give you is to always have fun training and end sessions on a high note.

By the way, I had a lovely tiel male which learned many things, and even talked pretty well. Lovely birds they are for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.