• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dust burn off from heater

AGS

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ava
I’m going to need to start running the heater soon and I know the first time each year it’s turned on it usually smells awful from the dust burning. Sometimes the smoke alarms even go off. Should I bring Widget outside while I’m running it for the first time or is it safe?

Previously I lived with my parents and they never gave me any warning when they turned it on so Widget was always inside and nothing bad happened to him but I’d still rather be safe than sorry, especially since we live in a smaller space now.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Also a related question, how cold is too cold for Widget? Since he has heart disease his toes get cold easily. I don’t mind the cold so I don’t know at what temperature I should be having the heat turn on at for him to be comfortable.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I would run it before it gets cold so you can have the bird outside while it burns off any dust. We do not have the same kind of heating so I am not familiar with your systems but I have read answers to this same question on here just recently and they all suggested to remove the bird or open all the doors and windows while the first run is done.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Thanks, I’ll do that!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Blast it out with an air hose from a compressor. Clean as a whistle before you turn it on.

Nnbal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Nnbal
Yesterday I decided to turn on the heater for Pasha. I cleaned the inside of the heater with both a hair dryer and a vacuum cleaner.
When I first turned on the heater, I knew there would be a burning smell, so I took the heater to a different room and opened the windows of the room and turned the heater on for an hour.
When I was sure that the smell was gone, I took it to Pasha's room.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Or, use an extension cable on a dry day and switch it on outside if there´s smoke coming off it.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
The heating is built into the apartment, the unit is behind a panel that’s screwed in so I don’t think I should open it. But I think Widget should be okay outside for a few minutes, in the past the smell would always fade almost right away. He won’t be happy but once he realizes he’s coming back inside and not going to the vet he will be relieved.

AGS

Real Name
Ava
Well it went better than expected, the fire alarm didn't go off this time. Widget was scared but he’s fine now and eating his dinner. The smell went away in a few minutes and didn’t really smell that strong to begin with.