• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dunno what to say

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Seriously, I don't know what to say. I’m feeling sad, maybe a little frustrated which I know I shouldn't be. It's been six months I got my hahns, Pestaa. There's a lot of improvement related to diet and feather quality. He has stopped chewing feathers presently. Lots of pin feathers are coming out. But there is no sign of friendship. Pestaa isn't aggressive, he tolerates cleaning and changing accessories nicely. But he is not willing to step up . We are in a no- touch relationship. He mimics my call sometimes. What I feel, he's too haughty to accept humans as his friends. I know, macaws are difficult birds, I have to be patient. But ,still...sometimes...it hurts.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Yes, macaws can be standoffish at times. Patience and lots of lots of interactions can go a long way.
I know it can be frustrating waiting for that "click" to happen, but when it does, it will be well worth it.
Continue to sit with him, read to him, sing, and act silly with him.
Lots of treats too.
It doesn't sound like he's being aggressive with you. That, in itself, is a major hurdle that you have already accomplished.
What does he do when you let him out of his cage?
Are you able to interact with him in a neutral area?
Sending big hugs to you. This will pass :)
:hug8:

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I hope it gets better soon

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, macaws can be standoffish at times. Patience and lots of lots of interactions can go a long way.
I know it can be frustrating waiting for that "click" to happen, but when it does, it will be well worth it.
Continue to sit with him, read to him, sing, and act silly with him.
Lots of treats too.
It doesn't sound like he's being aggressive with you. That, in itself, is a major hurdle that you have already accomplished.
What does he do when you let him out of his cage?
Are you able to interact with him in a neutral area?
Sending big hugs to you. This will pass :)
:hug8:
He doesn't come out, yet. He’s not interested and I don't force him. He watches other's out of cage time intently though.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
From what I’ve read about them, macaws can be pretty difficult to forge a friendship with when they’re already older. It’s almost like they’re somebody who got out of a bad relationship and are slow to trust again. If you keep at it and have patience, then I have no doubt he’ll come around!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Hahns was over 10 when I got her and even though she was my BFF and didn't let me touch her at all. No stepping up, no beak rubs, no scritches. She loved to mimic me though! It can be hard to forge a friendship with a hands off bird, but definitely not impossible!

Your feelings of disappointment though are totally valid :hug8:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Look how many years I've had Secret! That bird wanted to eat me alive for years..... hang in there!

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
He doesn't come out, yet. He’s not interested and I don't force him. He watches other's out of cage time intently though.
Do you leave his door open, so he has the option?
Maybe if you put a perch on the outside he could access?

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Hahns was over 10 when I got her and even though she was my BFF and didn't let me touch her at all. No stepping up, no beak rubs, no scritches. She loved to mimic me though! It can be hard to forge a friendship with a hands off bird, but definitely not impossible!

Your feelings of disappointment though are totally valid :hug8:
Thanks. These words are really encouraging.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Took 5 years for Lurch to mostly stop biting and be my friend but we got there. At least your guy isn't trying to bite you every time he thinks you did something wrong or just because. Keep at it, eventually he's going to decide your trustworthy and a friend, Lurch did.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
these minis are tough, one of the hardest animals i've ever owned. they take a real pushing to patience and all else to the limits. it definitely is stressful. I think every hahns owner feels the pain

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I'm not sure how long you've had your bird?

It took my hand phobia quaker, well over 6 months to step up , months more to step up reliably.

She didn't want touches, preening, or the like. I had resigned myself that she was just going to be a hands off bird.

Around the one year mark , she started accepting beak rubs. Then progressed to love head preens/rubs. Untill she become the most cuddly bird I have , pushes others away so she can have her head rub! Preens me . Is always up for head scratch anytime, while my others can be not right now .

Things can change slow. You have made impressive gains already . I know there are more to come !

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Pikachu is a real sweetheart, mellow bird. But she too can be get that phone/camera away from me!!! Fed up with me and my phone here!
IMG_20231103_124659454.jpg

My green cheek used to attack my phone and tell it no! Till I did phone/ treat bribes

Yours is so darn cute! I'd want to get my hands on that cuteness too! But that's a pretty mild , I'm uncomfortable shuffle away. You didn't get a lunge, or open beak, or yelling , for your paparazzi moves. I see you gaining more trust level soon :)

Last edited: