• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Duclaw ripped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Stupid me, we always get our dogs nails done at the vets.

I had the bright idea to have them done at petsmart. They couldn't do his nails because he was "grumpy", now I know why!!!

Before bed last night I noticed his du-claw is now torn.

There is a tear in it, and the pink is exposed, right up the side. The flap is hanging on it.

Any ideas?
He will not let me touch it, way too sore. :(

I can take a picture when he wakes up.

What should I do?

I feel so guilty now, he is my baby :(

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Injured du-claws are very painful. Will he leave a bandage alone? You can try putting a bandage and vet wrap on. Poor baby.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Mean, replace the flap, as in push it back down and tape it?

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Poor guy. Do you have a vet you could call and talk to about it?

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Emergency vet only today.

He is up now, it isn't bothering him at all. Just last night when I touched it.
Can they get infected?

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Danita is this something you can put cayenne on. The dog will leave cayenne alone.

gary

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Brilliant Gary!!

I want it to not be sore anymore :(
Will that work?

I am going to call and complain today. Last night he could barely walk, his hips were so sore from whatever they did.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Clean the area. If you can place it under running water. This will help clean the area as well as stimulate circulation to speed healing.

Have a piece of gauze and pad around the dew claw to give it some support and prevent it from poking into the leg.

Two things hold it in place. If your dog leaves it alone use vet wrap. If you haven't used vet wrap before be careful. Just enough stretch to place it on but not so tight it restricts blood flow and causes swelling. The other thing to secure a dressing is sports tape wrap. It is heavy duty and the more the dog chews at it the more it stays stuck.

Both these securing techniques helps protect the area and gives support to the joint. This is what helps keep it from hurting.

Oh, I have raced dogs and one injures a dew claw etc these were the techniques we used. Hi energy dogs like ours don't sit still and when in drive would continue to race even if it meant hurting the area more.

Good luck and wishes for quick healing.

Peggy

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Did they actually clip any nails?
Is it the tip of the nail hanging off or is it split the other way?
It would be easier to see a picture.

I've never seen a dew claw rip from a grooming incident, the most common occurrence is from getting it caught on something, usually when they go outside.

I just don't see any way they could have ripped it, quicked it sure, but it's not that painful for dogs, not to where you would notice them babying it.
If it was quicked, and the tip is still hanging off, you can cut it off with scissors but torn he should go to the vet or you can bandage it, theres not too much to do for a torn dew claw besides disinfect, which can be done with peroxide, alcohol, neosporin, and bandage. The excess nail should be clipped off from the vet.

If he's older with arthritis that may be why he is sore, any kind of grooming, especially nails, is hard on a dog, especially when they don't just let you lift a paw and clip. Almost all dogs fight it unless they've literally grown up on the grooming table. He may be sore from fighting them.

I actually hate when the vets around here clip dogs nails, they quick every single one and the dogs end up hating and fighting nail clipping even more!

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
Any updates Danita?

Status
Not open for further replies.