• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dry Skin and over preening

RPK

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Rob
My African grey parrot (Alexandra) is 29 years old. I have had her since 8 weeks. She is very friendly, well socialized and gets a lot of attention and love from me. For years she has been plucking the feathers from her chest area down to her feet. Years ago her chest feathers began to grow back red, like her tail. I had the vet check her out to be sure nothing was wrong with her being that the feathers were coming in red. I tend to think she now over preens simply out of habit. She needlessly pulls out healthy feathers at random but I have also noticed when preening an excessive amount of dander or what looks like very dry skin. Spraying her with bird spray for moisturizing and reducing any possible irritation is nothing new to her but does not seem to work much. I am now thinking that if I could address the possibility of dry skin she would not preen as much. Many years ago I was told by her groomer to let it be. That is probably is more of an issue for me than it is for her. Not only would she look beautiful if she allowed all the feathers to fill in but my yearly concern with the approaching colder weather, her feathers will help keep her warm and protected. If anyone reading this has experienced a similar issue and found a solution, I would appreciate any helpful suggestions. Thank you!!!

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have never used anything but water on my bird's feathers and have never had a plucking problem.

Snowghost

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Terri
My CAG over preens as well and he started pulling out new feathers (his left wing molted) I can tell its nerves. I have a job with irregular hours and there isn't much.I can do until I get a.better.job. We all know how hard that.is during these times.