• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dried papaya

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
I'm working on target training with my black capped conure, Ari. Some of you might have see my post about the behavior issues we are trying to address.

Ari's "jackpot" treat is dried papaya, but I realized the other day that what I have from the pet store (local one has a ton of bird things) has sulphur dioxide in it. I don't think this is good for her since she is getting more than she has in the past due to training. I found some organic dried papaya with no sulphur dioxide at a local natural food store, but it's sweetened with fructose...which means more sugar. Has anyone found a brand of dried papaya that is more safe? Bonus if can get it off Amazon--not my fav place to order but it's the easiest given shipping costs. I tried other treats, but she is more responsive to training if I use dried papaya.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Look for freeze dried or contact your health food shops to see if you can find sugar/additives and sulphur free fruit. You could also make your own if you have a food dehydrator.

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
So
Look for freeze dried or contact your health food shops to see if you can find sugar/additives and sulphur free fruit. You could also make your own if you have a food dehydrator.
Thank you . This reminded of another health food store that I always forget about. They have some that organic without sugar or preservatives.

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
Of course she is not interested in what I found. I was so happy that I found it, and she barely held it before dropping it to the floor lol.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Of course she is not interested in what I found. I was so happy that I found it, and she barely held it before dropping it to the floor lol.
Have you found some without other things added? I am almost certain many birds only eat the dried fruits they are given as they are so often filled with sugar.

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
Have you found some without other things added? I am almost certain many birds only eat the dried fruits they are given as they are so often filled with sugar.
I found something that is only dried papaya, nothing added. Tired it with her again, and she nibbled a bit. I'll say up front that Ari has always been a bird who wants fresh fruits and veggies. The dried papaya was a rare treat up until very recently.

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
I found something that is only dried papaya, nothing added. Tired it with her again, and she nibbled a bit. I'll say up front that Ari has always been a bird who wants fresh fruits and veggies. The dried papaya was a rare treat up until very recently.
I should add that I'm sure Ari liked the dried papaya that's supposed to be for birds because of sugar.