• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dr. Beex Birdcakes

wjudson461

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Jud
I am among the dedicated customers for Premium Pet Kitchen's Dr. Beex Birdcakes. Mu Umbrella Cockatoo
Earl has eaten them for 25 years. I was disappointed to find a couple weeks ago that they are closing up shop. Earl has a few left but they are his favorite, along with every conceivable kind of human food. He is
not finicky and more gourmand than gourmet.

Premium Pet Kitchen printed the recipe for Dr. Beex Birdcakes on their Facebook page.

I am going to try that recipe. I have also tried to cook cakes in the past to allay the cost of Dr. Beex, but
with limited success. I think my mistake was I did not make them thin enough; the middle was always softer than it should have been. I'm going to try again. In the meantime, Earl will have to eat his Harrison's Pellets.
He also gets fruit, vegetable and pasta, so don't feel bad for him.

If anyone knows of a product similar to Dr. Beex, please let me know.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have not heard of any similar products, but hopefully someone else has.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I tried Dr. Beex many years ago by chance because a friend had some. Unfortunately at that time they did not, would not ship to Canada. :( I haven't heard that name mentioned in many years. I thought it was a great product. :)

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
My sisters too has been eating the cakes for 15+ years as his treat every day and is now 44 years strong. She was elated when he posted the recipe but less elated when she got 4 messages on her FB page that she was killing her bird by continuing feeding these cakes as the main ingredient is jiffy plus seed mix.

She tried subbing cornmeal, wheat flour and other things but it was a no go unless she used the recipe.

She just made her FB page private and joked she will continue to kill her bird at 1500 everyday when he gets that little cake that makes him so happy.

She showed me the messages and WOW! She felt no need to respond as he gets chop twice a day, plus pellets and veg and fruit when he wants.

OMG! JIFFY IS GOING TO KILL YOUR TOO!

Last edited: