• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Double Yellows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anyone here having DYAs, could you tell me about your birds, please?

Mine's male, about 20, and I have heard that makes a difference in his behavior and attitude. He sure is a handful. Adopted, too. So I am not sure how much of his character is just the famed Amazon character, how much is attributable to his prior less-than-idea home(s) and how much is that, well, he is just Wasabi. He is my first Amazon and probably not the last. I have really fallen in love with the breed.

I have never met other DYAs, so I don't know if the females are any different in their character, although I have heard they are less feisty.

Thanks!

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
I don't know much about DYH, but I am a big Amazon lover. I'd have a houseful of all kinds of Amazon's if a) I had the money, b) I had the space and c) DH wouldn't divorce me, lol

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
I have rescued a few DYH I don't know what their sex was but they were sure a handful like you described. DYH seem to be pretty darn outgoing lol to say the least! :)

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
Yes, DYH can be pretty vocal and outgoing (aka: fiesty). I have a male who's probably in his 20-30's. He came to me initially as a foster bird (he had been roaming around as a stray from some months before this family who had been feeding him called the bird rescue I work with to come try to capture him as winter was coming. It took volunteers awhile of going back and forth so no one knew when or if he would be joining the Mickaboo family. One day some frantic emails went out...WE HAVE HIM (now what??????) I volunteered to foster him and rest was history. I could not see him going from one home to another after all he had been through just trying to survive on his own.

He is definately more adventurous than my mexican red-crowned amazon and will go off and explore (not a perch potatoe by any means!). He became good buddies with him though as you can see in one of the middle pics of my siggie.

Jpincence

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jenn
I have 2 male DYH's. Both are 14 years old. They are both quite feisty. And vocal! And very bonded to each other!

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
My YNA's 24 and definitely knows what he wants! The big zons are known for being bold when interacting with the world.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shauna, is your DY aggressive or cage possessive? a biter? A screamer? Is he friendly? Can you handle him?

Jenn, are your boys related? If not, did you get them at the same time? Do they share a cage? What are their personalities like? Aggressive? Biter? Screamer? Can you handle your boys and are they personable?

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
He can be somewhat territorial and protective over the other birds (even the cockatiels!) so he has to be out of the room if I'm grooming or giving them meds. He has become a lot less though the longer he has been with me. This breeding season has been the calmest with him since he joined us! For the most part he's pretty gentle with me. I can hold him on his back, he'll hold onto my fingers and hang upside down, he's a real acrobat LOL. Even his bites are now becoming more halfhearted with out leaving any nasty wounds anymore. He just always needs to be busy...does not like to just sit quietly for long.

As far as a screamer...well he has his moments. He does these prolonged contact calls that can be very loud.

He can be friendly if introduced to someone away from his cage and away from Bahama. The vet can get him to step up no problem. The vet tech can too. At home...if he out and Bahama's out he goes into protective mode.

Love the picture if Wasabi (that's his name right?). He's one handsome DYH :D Love to see more pics of him

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I sure wish I could hold Wasabi without being bitten. I can pet his head and neck if he lets me through the cage bars and it's been only in the past six months that I am able to kiss his head through the cage bars. Within the last couple of months, he will actually play with my fingers without biting in aggression. I hope, though, that that is not related to it being breeding season. Last year he started that behavior, but it was followed by what we figured out are other courtship behaviors. It stopped after the other behaviors did, and he went back to aggressive biting. So far he has not exhibited any courtship behaviors. We actually thought he had AVB when he started with those behaviors. Was that ever an absolute nightmare.

I'll post more Wasabi pictures and would love see see more of your guy. What's his name?

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
That's how things started off with Chewie (that's my guy's name). We had a long wonderful begining phase where he would step up and never bite, even walk over and give me kisses (he had learned that from his previously life). As winter gave way to spring that did not make things any easier. We had to take steps back and he would only allow contact through the safety of his cage bars. We used that as building blocks and gradually I could open the cage door for some playtime and scritches. Soon he was stepping up again and playfully preening my fingers instead of biting them. Took a long, long, long time with him. Your on a good road with him even if it is a bumpy one...it will pay off :D

Here's my favorite pic of him. (I had it in my siggie for the longest time :hehe:) Can't wait to see more of Wasabi!

BamaBirdMom

Real Name
Janet
I must have a really quiet timid DYH. Bama is the opposite...as long as he is not near his cage he is a gentleman. It's a good thing I handled him a lot before the hormonal season hit, because if I went by the cage aggression he displays when I talk to him, I would be terrified to handle him now. I get him out on his stick, we walk to another room, and he is such a good boy.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Chewie is magnificent!:heart: Here is my big boy.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He can be a little moody, nevermind breeding season. I adore him anyway.

The Cozy Nestbox

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly
Wasabi is a very handsome boy, Terri! So was he yelling in that last photo? Looks like you caught him in mid-yell maybe. :D

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mid hiss, Kelly. This bird will have his head lowered, allowing me to pet him, (thru cage bars) then hiss while I am petting his head. He changes in the blink of an eye. I have to watch him so closely. There's is no letting my guard down with this one.

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
W A S A B I ! ! ! He's jaw dropping handsome. Oh I know that look!:p

thank you Titanis & Terri for the compliments on Chewie's pic. I'm not a very good picture taker so I was very happy that one turned out good.

Status
Not open for further replies.