• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dose with Aloe Detox?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueCrowns

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Both of my Blue Crowns were raised on a mainly seed diet. Both are in outwardly great health, but both have beak tips that grow rather quickly.
I trimmed their beaks a month ago and both have tips that show a little growth(maybe an 1/8").
From what I've read, this may indicate liver distress. I was thinking about using some Aloe Detox to aid liver function. This a good idea? If so, how long should I continue to dose their water?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You should have a vet confirm your suspicions with tests before you start trying to fix something that may not be wrong.

Aloe Detox is a natural product and not like a real medicine so they won't OD on it. If there is a "known" problem then you can give it as strong as 50/50 with water if they will drink it. Usually you need to give it much weaker to start until they get used to it and actually drink it. You must be careful to make sure they are "drinking". If they don't like it and it's in their water and they don't have any other source of water they will stop drinking altogether.

BlueCrowns

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Unfortunately, I don't have the money for what could be a "well visit" at the local Avian Vet. My exGF was a vet tech there and they are ripoff artists.

After reading on the subject, I knew there wasn't any risk to Milk Thistle so I thought Id give it a try. If their beaks stop overgrowing after MT "treatment", i figured that that would indicate that the liver was the culprit.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I disagree John. Holistic medicine is just as dangerous, if not more dangerous than regular medicine which is regulated and tested. I absolutely do not suggest aloe detox for anything but a last resort. Aloe can cause serious problems in the human body and is a known diuretic and it can leach essential minerals from the body. Depending on the detox you use, it can have all sorts of things in it that may or may not be helpful.

Honestly, I think you're jumping the gun a bit with your home diagnsois. While it is true that an overgrown beak is most likely a sign of liver damage, you'd have to see a great deal of growth in a very short time. A parrot's beak naturally grows and if they don't play with toys very much, or appropriate toys, it might not get filed down as quickly as it should. Trimming a beak is generally only going to cause the beak to grow faster and cause you to need to trim it more. Unless you are dealing with a scissor beak or a beak that is growing so fast that impedes eating or getting around, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are at the point where it is getting that bad, you need to see a vet.

Cynth

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cynthia
There are a lot of symptoms of liver disease and just a growing beak is the least of your concerns. Beak and nails grow and liver disease is caused by something. Birds just don't get liver disease without another underlying problem...usually diet.
I do not know about aloe for ingestion, but I do know that although natural, herbs are medicine. they are safer and better than medication but they are dangerous if taken without knowledge. Also if herbs are taken and meds are given the two can make an animal more sick if they contradict each other. If a bird has liver D. You don't want him having a diuretic! diareah is one of the signs of ld.
As to not having a vet...try going out of town. Hope you find the underlying problem, could be just boredom and non preening.
C

Status
Not open for further replies.