• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dont want my girls to lay egg?

Animals4Life

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
Heya, just wondering if anyone knows tips (if there are any) on how to help my girls not get into egg-laying. I've read the dangers of it, how petting them in certain areas can spur it on, etc. But all the same, does anyone know anything to do? They're both still under 6 months, but I'm not even sure around what age they can start laying eggs? Would appreciate any tips you guys can give :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
14 months plus is the safe age and why in god's name would you want them to lay an egg. not a good idea..I have a chronic egg layer..it cost me plenty so far and she is still laying as nothing works on her..I can only tell you that some hens are lucky and have no issues with egg laying, other hens turn chronic (so far our girl is very healthy) and all kinds of problems can arise..and believe me, there are enough tiels and budgies in rescues..we don't need more..NOT A GOOD IDEA

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
My tiel started laying at 8 months. :( She would lay every month for a bout 3 months, skip a month, start again...I decreased her daylight hrs - put her in another room away from the other birds. Also fed less soft foods, gave less baths and showers, changed toys, perches and even moved food around in her cage. I ended up putting her in a larger cage where she is not so nesty. She has not laid since last November. :) I also make sure she has a cuttlebone in the cage as well as "hatched" crushed eggshell.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Sarah, you should be aware that what you are seeking to do is NOT natural for your bird. All female birds are designed by nauture to produce eggs. The purpose of all life on earth is to produce more life. For birds that means laying eggs. Yes, there are things you can do to discourage egg laying, but most healthy birds will lay eggs sometime during their normal life span. It is the reason they exisit. The key in keeping a pet bird healthy is to provide them with great nutrition and an environment that satisfies their social, emotional and physical needs. For my hen birds, this means great physical health which will always lead to the hen wanting to breed. Wanting to breed makes a hen look for a cock bird and then leads to the production of eggs. No matter how you look at it, a hen will lay eggs. I keep my birds as healthy as possible so they can lay their eggs without getting ill or experiencing eggbinding syndrome. That is all one can do do to help a pet bird live a long and healthy, happy life.

Animals4Life

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sarah
I understand that, I've just seen and heard of so many birds dying of becoming egg bound and I'm terrified that it will happen to my girls :( My favorite bird at the pet store I work at died from becoming egg bound while I was on vacation and I was heartbroken. I really just don't want it to happen to my birds :(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I think a good, healthy diet as well as daily exercise is the best way to prevent egg binding. If a hen is fit and healthy she should have less problems laying an egg than a hen that can't fly and is out of shape.