• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don't mess with the over-excited amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

love4birds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I did know this. Really. Yet I still got Merlin, the DYHA at the bird store to step on my arm when he was way over-excited. In my defense, I would have reached for a perch (he's stick-trained), but there wasn't one close enough and he was about to jump to the cluster of small children that were talking to him, and I thought that would be bad, given the circumstances. He clamped on twice and didn't want to let go:eek: So, that's how I ended up with this beautiful yellow bruise on my forearm:rolleyes::cool:

Attachments

shellbeme

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Shelly
Just looking at that makes my arm hurt. :o: I'm afraid of zons, they always seem to want a piece of me.

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
OUCH!!! Was there no adult with the small children? Glad you were able to protect the kids though.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Owie, owie, ow! Bravery in the line of duty!

Ginger

Juhi882

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Juhi
Ow. hope that heals fast, but u did a good job protecting the kids...:hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
OUCH!! glad you ran interference for the kiddos!

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Ouch, that looks painful!

Bahama's Momma

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Shauna Hill
WOWSERS...ouchy! :eek: Yes, he probably would have jumped onto one the kids and bite them so it's a good thing that you were there to remove him from the situation. :highfive:

Can't even imagine how awful that would have been on a child's arm. Then there would have been screaming and crying which would have riled the zon up even more.

Hope your arm heals up soon

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
OUCH!!! Was there no adult with the small children? Glad you were able to protect the kids though.
There were two adults with them, but they had come in just to look at the birds -- they didn't know anything about birds! Frustrating, sometimes:rolleyes: They weren't taunting Merlin or anything and were a couple feet from him, but he just got too excited so it wasn't a safe situation anymore.

WOWSERS...ouchy! :eek: Yes, he probably would have jumped onto one the kids and bite them so it's a good thing that you were there to remove him from the situation. :highfive:

Can't even imagine how awful that would have been on a child's arm. Then there would have been screaming and crying which would have riled the zon up even more.

Hope your arm heals up soon
I was envisioning him jumping to a kid and them flinging him, screaming, etc:eek:

Merlin is a sweetheart, really, he just gets worked up around kids:) He's my favorite zon, though:D

It actually doesn't hurt very much at all, only if I like push on it LOL. Just a bruise, really. I'm used to bites in that area because that's where Olly always, always, always gets me:rolleyes:

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Very good and quick action on your part, but I am sorry you got bit. Glad you were there to jump in and remove Merlin from that situation.

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Ouchie, hope that heals quick. Great quick thinking, hope your boss appreciates that you put yourself in that position to protect a customer :) There is a sticky for bird bites, it would be neat to also post the photo there :)

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow ouch ouch ouch...glad you were able to protect the kids...good on y a!!

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
There were two adults with them, but they had come in just to look at the birds -- they didn't know anything about birds! Frustrating, sometimes:rolleyes: They weren't taunting Merlin or anything and were a couple feet from him, but he just got too excited so it wasn't a safe situation anymore.
sigh at least when i would vist eva (U2) they would ask if i had handled her before wached for a bit and would go about cheacking in but if eva ever bit me i would say no bite put her back in her cage etc there was only one time when she when so wild and my hands were a mess that i got the lady from the store. but it seems most dont know what there doing i saw a dad with a little girl she just poked her (realy hard) and the dad was just watching saying wow wheat i prety bird the hole time i was thing yes stupid she will be preity when that finger turns to a bloddy mess... but the onwer came by thackfully cuz she was ajetated that i wqs not playing with her (she bonded to me and i was not to be in the store without being in site)

ParrotletPal

Walking the driveway
Looks like you 'took one for the team'.:p ... or atleast your arm did.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
Ouchie, hope that heals quick. Great quick thinking, hope your boss appreciates that you put yourself in that position to protect a customer :) There is a sticky for bird bites, it would be neat to also post the photo there :)
I totally didn't even think about that sticky! Good idea, I'll go add it there:)

sigh at least when i would vist eva (U2) they would ask if i had handled her before wached for a bit and would go about cheacking in but if eva ever bit me i would say no bite put her back in her cage etc there was only one time when she when so wild and my hands were a mess that i got the lady from the store. but it seems most dont know what there doing i saw a dad with a little girl she just poked her (realy hard) and the dad was just watching saying wow wheat i prety bird the hole time i was thing yes stupid she will be preity when that finger turns to a bloddy mess... but the onwer came by thackfully cuz she was ajetated that i wqs not playing with her (she bonded to me and i was not to be in the store without being in site)
That's good that they made sure everything was okay before leaving you guys! You gotta respect that in pet store employees, even if you do know how to handle birds properly. There are certain regulars that I know are fine with the birds, but most people I watch to make sure they're not harassing the birds. It's terrifying how many bird-owners don't know how to read bird body-language and think that poking a bird through it's cage is a good idea:mad: I had one customer try to tell me that one of the greys liked her because the grey was totally fluffed up when she was standing near him! The grey was not impressed at all! One of the two times Chewy has ever bitten me was when she was at the store and a customer insisted on holding her, "because she knew a lot about birds and could her just fine, thank you". She got Chewy to step up with a confident air, then Chewy went to bite her (and Chewy doesn't mess around when it's someone she doesn't like) and I grabbed Chewy to save the stupid customer a bite -- which I got instead!:rolleyes: I just don't understand people sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.