• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Don’t cook around birds!

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I just saw a video of a girl frying an egg on a pan with a clipped cockatiel on her shoulder. The bird fluttered down on to the pan and then couldn’t fly away as it was burning its poor feet. Then these people have the nerve to post it on social media and laugh about it. Wish people weren’t so ignorant about bird care :banghead: she didn’t even try to get the cockatiel off until it started yelling at her.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I hope the birds ok

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
That poor little bird :(
I hope enough people told her off to make her think twice about doing any more stupid things. Bad enough it's animal abuse, but to put it on social media and laugh about is is appalling. :rant:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I believe I saw the video you mentioned a while back and if it is the same one then I do not believe the bird was taken to a vet or even given proper care for its burns but I do believe it survived- most of the comments I read were pretty much what most of us here on the Avenue would say but without using the nice filter.

Poor little bird :(

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
That poor little bird :(
I hope enough people told her off to make her think twice about doing any more stupid things. Bad enough it's animal abuse, but to put it on social media and laugh about is is appalling. :rant:
I reported the video but didn’t take a chance to look at the comments. I hope they told her off too

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
I believe I saw the video you mentioned a while back and if it is the same one then I do not believe the bird was taken to a vet or even given proper care for its burns but I do believe it survived- most of the comments I read were pretty much what most of us here on the Avenue would say but without using the nice filter.

Poor little bird :(
I also didn’t see anything about the birds health afterwards. I didn’t want to watch the video twice so I reported it. I don’t like watching videos like that and I’m sure others don’t either.

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Yes I saw this video too...I offered her gentle advice to which she played off the event as a big joke and said some other stuff about not wanting to help her bird essentialy.
Pretty sure she did book a vet appt though after me and the "bird police" on social media urged her for it. Hope the little tiel is okay :(

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Oh yeah, I saw that one. The comments I saw were a lot of bird people reading her the riot act.

I did not take @Spearmint 's gentle approach, after reading the owner's nonchalant response

OrangIsld

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jackson
Me too! I didn’t see anything about them taking it to the vet or a follow up
I saw this a while ago, she did make an update saying that their tiel was okay. I'm also concerned about the pan, it looked like a non-stick. But in the nicest way possible, if she was cooking with a clipped bird on her shoulder, I don't think that would have been taken into consideration.

edit: according to other tiktoks ive just now skimmed, apparently she didnt take her bird to the vet :/
the tiel is more than likely ok now but my heart hurts to know that this little bird got hardly any treatment - so many things could have gone wrong.

Last edited:

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Oh yeah, I saw that one. The comments I saw were a lot of bird people reading her the riot act.

I did not take @Spearmint 's gentle approach, after reading the owner's nonchalant response
Honestly you werent in the wrong though. I started to get very fed up after her rude replies.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That’s awful.
Because I have a small apartment and birds that are good at getting out of their cages, my guys are clipped. I at least know nobody would be high up by the time they got across the kitchen.

Burns are no joke. They are so painful. I was burned badly 25 yrs ago and I will never be careless; and it WAS my feet. People don’t have good circulation in their feet. I understand bird foot circulation is better, but I hope that bird didn’t lose its feet.

i hope I never see that video. That person doesn’t deserve to have a bird.

Olliebirb

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
That’s awful.
Because I have a small apartment and birds that are good at getting out of their cages, my guys are clipped. I at least know nobody would be high up by the time they got across the kitchen.

Burns are no joke. They are so painful. I was burned badly 25 yrs ago and I will never be careless; and it WAS my feet. People don’t have good circulation in their feet. I understand bird foot circulation is better, but I hope that bird didn’t lose its feet.

i hope I never see that video. That person doesn’t deserve to have a bird.
Clipping for safety is understandable but people need to understand that being clipped causes different risks than unclipped. And instead of her understanding these risks she disregarded them. I hope it gets taken down so no one has to see it :(

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
The fact she got tons of comments is bad too. Lots of comments will help her video reach more people and get more views. Best things to do is dislike and report.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I just saw a video of a girl frying an egg on a pan with a clipped cockatiel on her shoulder. The bird fluttered down on to the pan and then couldn’t fly away as it was burning its poor feet. Then these people have the nerve to post it on social media and laugh about it. Wish people weren’t so ignorant about bird care :banghead: she didn’t even try to get the cockatiel off until it started yelling at her.

That is animal abuse. Bailey is on a different floor when I cook just to be safe.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
As said by others, best thing to do is not engage and just click report.

There's horrible people and useless pet owners all over the place and social media brings them right to our phone screens unfortunately.
But it does also bring the good, so try to focus on all the positive things we can experience or learn via social media. I love seeing rehabber vids on Instagram, as well as wild bird videos, birds we may never lay our eyes on, we see folks taking in stay dogs, rescuing animals from the roads.

I am very cautious of tiktok, and I have recently started posting there but I don't watch strangers videos on there (most of it is nonsense anyway) as there's no algorithm, I stick to watching videos on Instagram where the content is more to my taste and I can see videos that make me feel good about the world or align with my interests.