• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog stuffed toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Ive gotten pretty good at making Lemons (u2) toys and recycling his beat up ones into new ones.

I recently bought a few dog/puppy toys figuring if they are ok for puppies to chew on they should be ok for parrots.

One item as three big plastic keys on a circle.
The second one was a rubber tire with rope through it.

I was thinking...
is it ok to give them a stuffed animal that are ok for dogs???
I know he would shred it but would he also try to eat it?

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Things like stuffed animals really depend on the bird. If your bird eats it, it could cause a blockage that would need emergency vet care. Otoh, many bird would never eat it and might really enjoy snuggling or preening it, and my baby budgies really loved the stuffy they had in with them. I would make sure there are no long threads/string for a bird to get tangled in for sure though, and that the eyes and nose can't be chewed off and swallowed.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
I think it really depends on your bird. Are they just going to cuddle up next to it and maybe pick at it a LITTLE bit? ..... or rip it to shreds?

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
A store here gives ALL of their babies a stuffed toy. Holly had one, and still does..a Curious George.:p I don't see it as much different than giving them a snuggle hut. As with ANY toy, you should always monitor your bird.

cntrymeadow

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Rebecca
Knowing Lemon he would rip it to shreds in no time however I dont think I want to take the chance on him eating any part of it.
I have a huge vet bill already with our dogs (English Bull Terriers) I really dont want to add a bird vet bill!
Better safe than sorry I guess.

TikiBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jessica
Careful on those plastic toys too, they always smell like harsh chemicals to me.

Plus make sure they aren't labeled as"flavored".
I believe those keys are made by Nylabone, and alot of nylabone products have flavors and smell and taste (yes I did lick one LOL)
really awful.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
JME but U2's are pretty smart and don't eat things that aren't actually food.

Mystics Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
Garner(sophies dad)his wife had a M2(Cody that had a stuffed animal he loved when he got sick...when he passed she had it put with him when they did his cremation..We all still love you Cody..Fly Free

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
Its a case of having to "know your bird". Destruction of stuffed animals seems to be a recent favorite (RIP stuffed bunny).

"but" I KNOW from experience that The G2s can differentiate between what is food and safe to swallow and what is not.

The Mostly-Cageless-Cockatoos have managed to dewire a computer:

Chew open another bottle of Tide (they go orgasmic for blue bottle tops):

And blue pen caps:

Yes, it has been a fun week. But no they don't eat any of it. I even let them have small plastic beads and nuts; they won't swallow them:

My sister's dog on the other hand; is so dumb that it ate a dryer sheet became bound up and hand to be operated on.

50% of all animals must by definition have below average intelligence and common sense. You have to know your bird.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I wouldn't get too worried about a bird eating a stuffed animal, I mean, we give them wood to chew on all the time and we never have them pooping splinters. The only thing I have ever worried about is paper. A few of my birds (especially Chico) like to chew off pieces of paper of toys, books, etc. and will roll them into balls with their tongue. That has scared me on occasion.

Jaye, those pictures have me both snickering with how naughty your 'toos are and shaking my head in amazement at the most random things that they find to chew on, lol.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran

50% of all animals must by definition have below average intelligence and common sense. You have to know your bird.
:lol: True for people too. I, of course, like to think I'm in the upper 50%, but the common sense that involves devoting my life to making money to spend on things for my bird to destroy does seem a little lacking. :lol:

TwoG2s

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Jaye
:lol: True for people too. I, of course, like to think I'm in the upper 50%, but the common sense that involves devoting my life to making money to spend on things for my bird to destroy does seem a little lacking. :lol:
So are you saying that we are all a bird-brains? :hehe:

Status
Not open for further replies.