• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog Poisoned by Essential Oils

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best

Colloidal silver isn't considered safe or effective for any of the health claims manufacturers make. Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral, as some sellers of silver products claim.

• Colloidal silver can cause serious side effects. The most common is argyria, a bluish-gray discoloration of the skin, which is usually permanent.
  • Colloidal silver can also cause poor absorption of some drugs, such as certain antibiotics and thyroxine (used to treat thyroid deficiency).
  • The FDA also warned in 1999 that colloidal silver isn’t safe or effective for treating any disease or condition.
  • The FDA and the Federal Trade Commission have taken action against a number of companies for making misleading claims about colloidal silver products.

However, official bodies, such as the National Centre for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH), state that colloidal silver can cause serious side effects and that there is no strong scientific evidence for its effectiveness as a home remedy.

Please, don't use this stuff. It is effective for certain bacteria, but shouldn't just be used without a prescription.
You have misread my post. I am aware that colloidal silver is not effective nor safe if used in high doses and have said as much myself if you read my previous posts. The point of the quoted post was merely to say that while silver is a heavy metal, the dangers of ingesting it are not nearly as dire as other heavy metals such as lead or mercury.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
I want to touch on something I found rather odd today.
I had to take my bird to vet for follow up and tested to see how infection she had had faired. Had a clean bill of health now.
While at vets, on their counter they have all kinds of candle products ( oil based/ plant based) in jars. Kinda like Yankee candle jars. Labeled " pet smell deodorizer for all pets.
I thought huh!?!?!?? So while waiting for poppers to be called in, I grabbed a couple jars to read ingredients. There was none. A lot of blah blah goofy blah blah.
Then said on lable, "keep away from children and birds"
Lol...I thought, now a board certified avian vet and other animals, allowing this to be sold out of their office?
It struck me rather odd.