• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dog food Research

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I use Canadian Natural kibble with added .. raw organ meat ..sardines..Raw egg .. bone broth and veggies from bone broth ..coconut oil and vit e in their food ..this seems to be a great diet for my guys ..I add the raw stuff in so they get a lil extra specially during the winter :)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
I really like the flowing this thread. I’ve learned a lot I hadn’t even known or considered. Thank you all. Some of my posts did have that emotional keel to it, so please forgive that. I hope we can continue this conversation with more information and new thoughts on brands and discuss how they work for our pets.
I am also really enjoying this thread!
taste of the wild is a very nutritious brand, a little too much so for my dog when she was little, she started vomiting under her bed (ew) to ´save it for later´ (which sometimes happens when food is TOO nutritious for a particular dog). all dogs are different though and it may work well for you and your pup! just sharing my experience. :lol:
Thanks for you thoughts.
Choosing a brand/formula is fairly complicated for me. Not only am I buying for my two pups, I am buying for my whole family's dogs (which adds up to quite a few...), so food has to be available in fairly big bags, and meet a few allergy requirements (no rice, tomato, pumpkin, to name a few...), and at the moment I am looking for a no chicken formula due to a few suspected allergic reactions with a couple of the dogs.
I am curious to look into the Wellness brand someone mentioned.

Joe Suarez

Moving in
Real Name
Joe Suarez
There are many dog food brands available on the market that are not affiliated with Purina. Some popular options include:
  1. Blue Buffalo: This brand offers a variety of dog food options that are made with high-quality ingredients and are free from artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors.
  2. Taste of the Wild: This brand offers grain-free dog food options that are made with high-quality proteins like wild boar, bison, and salmon.
  3. Wellness: This brand offers a wide range of dog food options that are made with natural ingredients and are free from artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors.
  4. Orijen: This brand offers biologically appropriate dog food options that are made with fresh, regional ingredients and are free from artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors.
  5. Merrick: This brand offers a variety of dog food options that are made with real, whole foods and are free from artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors.
When looking for a multi-pack of dog food for small breeds, it's important to consider the specific needs of your dogs, such as their age, activity level, and any dietary restrictions they may have. It's also important to choose a high-quality dog food that is made with wholesome, natural ingredients and is free from artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors. You can consult with your veterinarian to determine which dog food brands and types may be best for your small breed dogs.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hmmm… I would never feed Blue anything - had a terrible experience with it!

Orijen is raw, which not everyone (including me) thinks is best for an indoor existence

Two of the others I’ve had good luck with in the past & I know someone who likes the third. :)

It’s very hard to select pet food.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hmmm… I would never feed Blue anything - had a terrible experience with it!

Orijen is raw, which not everyone (including me) thinks is best for an indoor existence

Two of the others I’ve had good luck with in the past & I know someone who likes the third. :)

It’s very hard to select pet food.
I won't feed Blue either.

Orijen isn't actually raw, its still kibble with fancy marketing.

Both Blue and Orijen have had lawsuits filed against them for false advertising.

I won't feed either.