• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does Your Quaker have a Friend?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ming-Ming

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Someone mentioned today I should get a second Quaker instead of a second Caique...

Maybe in the future I'll do both! But I'm curious of how your Quakers are with other Quakers?

We tried to introduce Kyoko to another pallid that needed rehoming, but she did NOT want anything to do with him. He just sat there so helpless and she kept hissing and biting at him. Poor guy, he just wanted a friend! :(

So how about you? Two quakers? None?
Are they housed together? Apart?

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two Quakers, they are best buds!!

I got lucky, they liked each other from day one.

My guys are not typical Quakers though .. lol .. they are sweet, not loud and not cage aggressive .. as Quakers are known to be.

Ivy, my older greenie, was a rehome .. unknown age ... unknown sex.

Gumpie was a sorta baby/sorta rehome. He was purchased by a man as a gift for his wife, but Gumpie is handicapped <missing all the toes on one foot, and two toes from the other>, the wife didn't want a "malformed" bird so he had to return Gumpie to the breeder.

The breeder knew I was waiting for a blue, and called me about about Gump. I didn't care about his toes, he was a doll baby.

Him and Ivy are just wonderful together. I honestly do not know their sexes, but my gut says they are both males. They are not housed together.

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I have 2 Quakers. It wasnt really intentional, but here they are! lol.

When i first brought Mika back home, they HATED each other. It was a very strong hate. They couldnt even be on the same stand.

It took almost a year. And i noticed little by little in the birdroom, id find them on top of each others cages. Then it was like, Cloud packed his bags and moved in. He started eating in Mikas cage, sleeping in it. Id go to his cage, food and water untouched, no poo on the floor. It was obvious they felt comfortable to be with each other.

I hadnt planned on them becoming friends..really i hadnt. But they are BEST of friends now. They now share a cage...they have 2 sleepy tents next to each other..sometimes theyll use one each, sometimes ill see them both squeeze into one.. haha.

Theyre both very protective of each other as well. If one thinks im hurting the other, the other will come over and try to attack me to "protect" their friend. And oddly enough they are both males! Mika was DNA'd and Cloud was surgically sexed so no doubt about it

So i guess its possible with time. Id definitely start with 2 cages of course. I still cant believe how close they are, you just have no idea the hatred they had!! lol

prettyinpink

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica
I think it depends on the quaker. Just like if you put two people together doesn't mean they'll like each other. Loofa, like I said before is sweet to birds...more so then new people. I'll get him a buddy eventually. Or at least a play mate, I'm the type of person that's too worried and don't think I'd house two birds together unless they came together.

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Thanks Allessa! It's kind of comforting to hear that even though they might hate each other for a while, they might start cozying up :)

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I have one quaker. But when I have baby quakers in the house she is always sweet with them. However she is not sweet to Joey or Indy.
You should get the bird you well be happy with. My next bird may be another quaker. (But not till one of my birds passes on) And I hope Topaz well be their friend but I don't plan on it.

susand

Jogging around the block
Real Name
susan
1 quaker here (ATM) also! But I know my quaker would love a pal, hes very much "typical" of them wanting a flock of friends! Were going to be bird sitting a lil quaker for the weekend .. so I'll have 2 then. Ive always wanted to get Suki a quaker pal!!!

Glowbird

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have a female quaker, Frost, and a male BCC, Virgil, who are close. I got Frost first and then Virgil about six months later. At first Frost completely dominated Virgil, but now he holds his own. I think she was happier when she was the undisputed queen, but they still get along fine. They are flighted and live uncaged in a large bird room. They sleep on the same perch at night.

alohaimee

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Aimee
We don't own more than one, as much as I would lOVE to (just no room in this house) but my best friend has Squirt's brother and we get them together to play often and they love it! :)

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have 4 Quakers. they all get along, Bailey & Jake are bonded to each other, they live in seperate cages thou, Jake goes " visiting" with Bailey daily in her cage, for a few hours, then he goes back in his cage, they love each other, but Jake loves his cage and some time for himself to.When the fids are out for playtime, Jake sticks close to Bailey.

MessyBeaks

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Leigh
I fostered two that were lovely singles before they met, but after they hit it off they became nasty to humans and wanted only each other for company, even when housed separately :(

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I am lucky, cause even thou Bailey & jake are bonded, they still like to interact with me, they give me kisses & they still step-up for me, & they let me pet them.

birdmama61

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
cathy
At this time no . Im not sure I want another quaker or not. Because Im afraid if arnold has another quaker in the house he will not want me for company . I know he was okay with other species of birds so I dont know how he would be with another quaker . I hope I get to foster one soon so I can see how he is going to do .

jaytee

Jogging around the block
If YOU want another bird, choose the type of bird, that best suits YOU. Even better, take home the bird that CHOOSES you.

DON'T GET A BIRD FOR YOUR BIRD!!!!!!!

Whatever your choice, there's no guarantee they will get along. They may be best of friends. Either way, the new bird is YOUR bird, NOT another birds'.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I agree with don’t get a bird for your bird, you really should get a bird for you more so.

With that said.. I was contemplating getting a green Quaker, but Keiko is quite aggressive, and one Quaker is loud enough so I highly doubt I will get another one, not even in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.