• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Does this guys beak look healthy?

clarabear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Clara
it looks fine to me- I'm by no means an expert, but a little bit of peeling on a beak is normal. The shape also looks pretty good.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
looks fine to me but if you are not sure ask you vet

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
That is one gorgeous lovie!! His beak looks fine.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you have no vets what are your plans for sudden accidents with injuries or illness?

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The beak looks fine, maybe just a touch (and I mean, we're talking slightly) long. If you had a vet or somewhere that was used to grooming birds (NEVER attempt on your own), they will usually be able to tend to the beak if it gets a bit long. Your little guy is fine, though. Maybe make sure he has things to chew on, like hard woods, a cuttlebone, etc.

Trimming a Bird's Beak -- Beak Trimming

petiteoiseau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Bibi
Let's get one thing clear: healthy birds do NOT need beak trimming. But, although a little bit too long, this lovie's beak doesn't look bad at all. Just increase the veggie and fruit intake a bit and reduce protein and he'll be OK.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Looking good, a little sharp, but good.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Let's get one thing clear: healthy birds do NOT need beak trimming. But, although a little bit too long, this lovie's beak doesn't look bad at all. Just increase the veggie and fruit intake a bit and reduce protein and he'll be OK.
Without a vet check this could cause issues as we dont know what the bird is already eating.

The lovie looks fine. But most birds look fine before they pass away. If concerned, the best thing to do is go to a dog/cat vet if an avian vet is not available.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene

I would check with the vet. FYI, my golden conure needed her beak trimmed. She had blood drawn and she got a clean bill of health. Her beak was overgrown due to her lack of wanting to chew on wood. :rolleyes:

richardjtf

Moving in
Real Name
Mr Obvious
But as i said no avian vets where i live.

This guy is over 2 years old already, i hand fed it after the parents had scaped. I give it seeds, brocoli, sometimes put bird vitamins on the water and there's a special mix i bought but he won't eat it, he only eats broccoli because it was one of the first things i've ever fed him, and he doesn't eat much either, rarely i give him little white rice or pasta when i'm eating, no salts or anything else. I don't know how to get him to eat anything other than seeds, if he tries anything else he just bites it once or twice and that's it. :(

I have to mention that this guy hasn't touched a cage in over a year, he flies around all day and plays a lot too, so exercise is check.

I want to know if he really is healthy.

He breaks one of his tail wings every few months too, i guess unintentionally because the beak is sharp. I always notice because when that happens he just doesn't go to sleep and stays with me until late night, playing, until i realise what it is, grab him, clean the wound and plug the bloody tail wing out, clean again then he immediately goes to sleep with no pain i suppose. But this happens like every 7 months or something..

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Anyone know of an avian vet in Portugal??????

Ms. Jingles

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrea
Have you tried Nutrition-berries? You really should try to get good quality pellets in the diet...you might have to convince by holding in your lips & potentially eating a couple yourself so the idea of 'it's good stuff' comes to reality. Seed addict (mine was when I adopted him) will lead to malnutrition.
Go organic as much as possible...'brown rice' is healthier than white, Apples, carrots, cucumber, salad greens, corn, green beans, unsalted slivered almonds, unsalted pistachios, dried or fresh mango, raisins, bananas, peanut or almond butter, quinoa....Volkmans food mixes (make a small batch, spread into ice cube trays, freeze, drop in a bag, keep frozen, take one out as needed, thaw (keeps for 2? Days in the fridge) break a chunk off & feed with some mixed veg/fruit....

Some vets are capable of serving birds even though not their specialty, inquire of the local vets, they may be able to advise & refer. Trust me, don't go without. Emergencies & injuries can break your heart if you don't have a plan.

Best of luck with your loving giant condor attitude :))
Love mine to pieces!

Rebekka

Meeting neighbors
I second Andrea! It's never too late to change your bird's diet to a pellet diet:) I personally switched my bird's by eating the pellets in front of him, and same thing with fruits! And oh dear, a broken and bleeding tail feather every few months doesn't sound normal to me... A trip to the regular vet is worth a try if something really worries you! Hopefully they can refer you to a more experienced one. Good luck!:)