• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does the smell of Skunk or Weed harm my budgie?

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
Does the smell of skunk or weed outside harm my budgie?

So I'm just laying on my bed right now, it's 1:30AM EST and I get this whiff of skunk. We've never had a skunk seen around here before, but I do know they live in our area. I don't think skunk smell is dangerous to my bird, but I'm just making sure.

Now my real concern is weed. I've never taken any, and my family hasn't either. We don't own anything like that. I've learned, though, that weed smells similar to skunk. If it is potentially weed or any other nasty substance, could the smell of it outside of my house somewhere harm my bird?

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
Yes, People should never smoke near birds. Skunks just smell terrible as a self defense. Plus nobody would be awake that late. It is definitely an illegal substance. I recommend you call somebody like the police. Keep your bird far from that smell.

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
What state do you live in? This helps to know If skunks live there.

Kamoebas

Strolling the yard
Also, are you near a farmfield, grassland or forest? Thats where skunks live.

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
I am near a farmfield. I have one neighbor close to me, but the smell wasn't in the direction of their house. The smell was near the farmfield and the treeline. There is construction behind the treeline though. Kind of hard to explain but yeah.
Untitled222.jpg
As I've already mentioned, skunks do live in my state/area. I just haven't ever seen one at our house. It's the afternoon now and I haven't smelt it at all. I'm lead to believe it was weed, since skunk smell usually lingers.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If you’re unfortunate enough to have smelled enough second hand pot, as I have, you can tell the difference. Any smoke is bad for birds.

MooFish

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liliana Garcia
If you’re unfortunate enough to have smelled enough second hand pot, as I have, you can tell the difference. Any smoke is bad for birds.
I'm a bit of a noseblind individual, so I haven't had enough experience to tell the difference. I don't think it affected my bird since he's doing just fine, luckily. If it happens again I guess I'll have to bring it up to my neighbors or the construction workers nearby. Or install a camera on that side of the house and call the police if they do it again, if it even was weed.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is it smoke you’re smelling or just a funky smell?

The smell of fresh/non burning weed drifting in through your window from some outside source is not going to be a problem even if it’s a smell you don’t like.
Smoke from burning weed or anything else burning is never good for your bird to be breathing in.

I’ve never heard of the scent that skunks put out being dangerous for anything to breathe- I am of the belief that it’s just an unpleasant quite potent but harmless scent.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes, People should never smoke near birds. Skunks just smell terrible as a self defense. Plus nobody would be awake that late. It is definitely an illegal substance. I recommend you call somebody like the police. Keep your bird far from that smell.
It is not illegal in all areas. It is not illegal in my state, for instance. And I'm often awake until 2am ;)

No one was smoking purposely near their bird.

Skunks also live in some cities, like mine :)

Weed and skunks smell very similar to me too. There is a difference but when it's farther off, it's harder to tell.

Secondhand smoke is bad for everyone. However if it was just a bit of the smell it's probably fine regardless. Obviously not ideal though; close the windows, run an air purifier if you aren't already, and you can use a fan to blow air away from your bird.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Shawna covered the main points above. But I just wanted to add, maybe you could plant some air purifying plants outside your house in and around that area where the smell comes in?