• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does my budgie seem sick?

C_Leigh

Walking the driveway
Hi all,

I just wanted to know your opinion on my budgies appearance. She has brown feathers around her cere. This has happened before in the past when she has been moulting, she tends to get a bit scruffy. I have noticed she has pin feathers on her head and she is itchy, rubbing her head on the perch.

Her brown cere is also peeling off which I understand to be normal but it almost looks wet. I worry about mites with a budgie. Should I pick up some mite spray just in case?

It is a public holiday in Australia tomorrow so an urgent reply is appreciated as it will be more difficult to get in to see a vet.

Otherwise her behaviour seems normal, active and healthy other than a bit sleepy which happens during a moult as well.

20230125_065824.jpg 20230125_065756.jpg 20230125_065821.jpg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
No way to tell if a bird is sick from a photo. Molts can be hard on a budgie. Is she dropping feathers?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
This looks like stains you can get with a respiratory infection. Thst pluss sleeping more and closing eyes while you take a picture..makes me worry illness. More than mites.
I would try to get her in to see an avian veterinarian as soo as you can

JulietRose

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Juliet
Can’t tell for sure from a photo, but like someone else said, a respiratory infection could be a concern. Has she had any other odd behavior? It could just be a really hard molt but a vet check up would be the safest thing to do, though I do know first hand it can be hard getting one. You should keep an eye on her, make sure she’s eating and sleeping normally, etc. Hope she’s ok!

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
The photo is bad, she might have the hyperceratossis of the cere or some part bitten by some other bird, like also my beloved Glory had.